Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Randomly Barking

• 06-02-2018 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone can offer a bit of advice.

My dog has started to bark randomly during the night/early morning.

She's in her bed, head down and just barking every now and then, normally around 5am.

She very rarely barks at night, and normally she's at either the back door or front door because she's heard something outside. But this is a new thing and she's not even getting up, so I don't think it has to do with any noise outside the house. She is normally very good, and would only bark for a reason so I'm a bit lost.

It's not toilet related, I've tried taking her out the back but she doesn't need to go. Normally she'll come upstairs and wake someone up if she needs to be let out.

Has anyone had any similar issues? Or maybe could offer a bit of advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

My dog randomly barks or growls while he's asleep. Was told that dogs dream like humans so they normally bark when they are dreaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

EPAndlee wrote: »
    My dog randomly barks or growls while he's asleep. Was told that dogs dream like humans so they normally bark when they are dreaming

She sometimes cries in her sleep, but she's awake when she's barking. I'll keep an eye on her to double check this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Do you go down to her when she barks and what is her reaction when she sees you? Also, what age?

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Do you go down to her when she barks and what is her reaction when she sees you? Also, what age?

I go down to her just to make sure she's okay, but she doesn't even get up. Yesterday and today she barked again when I went into her.

She's about 7-8 years, we've had her just over 5 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Thats a strange one! If it were my dog and it were out of character Id probably bring her to the vet and get checked over, maybe get bloods done or something. That might be over the top but I would do it for peace of mind to make sure she is not in pain or something like that that might be making her bark. Just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

My dog does this, around 5-6am he lets out a single bark and if he doesn't get a reaction he continues to let off single barks about every 2 mins til someone stirs.

It's just for attention though, he's letting us know he's done sleeping in the kitchen & wants to come upstairs. We've spoiled him really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Given the cold snap houses are more prone to having mice. Could she be possibly barking at some little visitors? Or it could be something larger outside rustling about?

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Thats a strange one! If it were my dog and it were out of character Id probably bring her to the vet and get checked over, maybe get bloods done or something. That might be over the top but I would do it for peace of mind to make sure she is not in pain or something like that that might be making her bark. Just my opinion.

I'm due to call up to the vet at the weekend to pick up her flea treatments, I'll run it by her and see what she thinks. Blood tests are a last resort because she has to be sedated but if she needs them then she'll have to get them.
    Danjamin1 wrote: »
    My dog does this, around 5-6am he lets out a single bark and if he doesn't get a reaction he continues to let off single barks about every 2 mins til someone stirs.

It's just for attention though, he's letting us know he's done sleeping in the kitchen & wants to come upstairs. We've spoiled him really.

Yeah it is a single bark, so sounds similar to your dog. She's not confined downstairs so normally she'll just come up stairs and wake me up if she wants me. She does this every Saturday and Sunday without fail! Just so I can sit on the couch while she goes back to sleep. Completely spoiled!
    Given the cold snap houses are more prone to having mice. Could she be possibly barking at some little visitors? Or it could be something larger outside rustling about?

This is what I taught the first time it happened, but if there was something in the house she'd go mental until she caught it.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think it could be some sort of attention seeking display from her, just so unusual as she normally would demand attention and not lie around waiting for it.

Advertisement