Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decathlon Sports coming to R of I.

Options
  • 06-02-2018 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭

So Decatalon Sports have announced that they are opening their first sports store in the R of I.
    I asked them if they would be bringing in the budget Jocker range of French cartridges and the answer is "not initially" due to legal red tape.
    But they did say "we cannot speed up the legal process, but are working to resolve this as soon as possibke"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    So Decatalon Sports have announced that they are opening their first sports store in the R of I.
    I asked them if they would be bringing in the budget Jocker range of French cartridges and the answer is "not initially" due to legal red tape.
    But they did say "we cannot speed up the legal process, but are working to resolve this as soon as possibke"

Delighted when I heard it. I buy their stuff regularly when abroad, and the quality per euro is unbeatable. I have some of their hunting gear and it is as good as Irish bought branded stuff that cost 3 times as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I've bought gun slips, cases, stalking equipment and clothing as well as other sports gear from them over the years and found them of a good quality.

Let's hope they don't price up once they get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

excellent shop

Bought plenty of stuff of them through the years, good quality gear for small money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I bought 2 pairs of the solengac trousers €14 and €24, they both outlasted €120 named trousers, going into my 3rd year with them, great shop for all sports,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

ronn wrote: »
    I bought 2 pairs of the solengac trousers €14 and €24, they both outlasted €120 named trousers, going into my 3rd year with them, great shop for all sports,

I’ve a pair of those as well and can confirm that they are as good or better than the €100+ ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Where will thet be based? And do you know when they expect to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

pm. wrote: »
    Where will thet be based? And do you know when they expect to open?

Dublin first, then Galway and Cork. 2019.
    Two more in Dublin if the thing goes well, and three others around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/french-sports-retailer-decathlon-to-open-up-to-nine-shops-in-ireland-1.3379797
    Good news for hunters and outdoors types in general.
    Solognac are Decathlons hunting brand.
    I received a Solognac gilet this morning and the quality is astounding for the price I paid. They seem to have a good reputation on the continent.
    I have no connections to Decathlon etc, just a satisfied customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 longshot100

great news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Another international multiple cherry picking and selling selected high margin products like clothing. I'll bet they won't be selling a full range of ammunition or maggots for example.

Why not support your few remaining indigenous retailers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Rosahane wrote: »
    Another international multiple cherry picking and selling selected high margin products like clothing.

I think you will find that they will offer far better value than we have at present.
    I'll bet they won't be selling a full range of ammunition or maggots for example.

Due to our ridiculous firearms laws coupled with the fact that the demand for a “full range” of ammunition is low I would think you are correct. In my experience no RFD in the ROI sells the “full range”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Rosahane

2011 wrote: »
    I think you will find that they will offer far better value than we have at present.

Due to our ridiculous firearms laws coupled with the fact that the demand for a “full range” of ammunition is low I would think you are correct. In my experience no RFD in the ROI sells the “full range”.

Of course they will offer far better value, that's how they capture market share. They have the buying power and probably dedicated manufacturing capability. People will spend money with them and the cumulative effect of that is that indigenous dealers and shops will suffer a reduced turnover and as a consequence some will close.

WRT ammunition, my experience is that most dealers try to carry as much of a selection as possible within the constraints of what is available from their wholesalers.

My point is that, unless sportspeople are prepared to pay a modest premium for the convenience of having a local retailers carrying a bit of everything these retailers will go out of business and we will be faced with limited and restricted choice and the necessity to travel or use the internet to purchase.

Just have a look at how many shooting and fishing shops have closed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Rosahane wrote: »

Just have a look at how many shooting and fishing shops have closed recently.

Those shops have closed without Decathalon sports being in the country.
    Most of those shops have been closed (in my opinion anyway) by the Big Box retailers of "fashion sports" wear.
    Look at Lifestyle Sports and their ilk, massive stores selling mainly replica kits and street fashion clothes and trainers.
    The local shop that sold hunting shooting and fishing stuff and had a good sideline in football boots, tennis/basketball trainers and GAA strip has lost all that to the superstore
    And when and if Dec. sell ammo , it's only a few stores scattered around the country, and not necessarily in places the majority of shooters live.
    Anyway, I'm in Cavan and regularly buy from Red Mills etc . Am I to stop dealing with them in case my local lads feel the pinch?

Cartridge prices in Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭minktrapper

ronn wrote: »
    Cartridge prices in Spain

Is the €42.99 a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Is the €42.99 a mistake.

A slab..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I've priced ammo in Decathlon and other gun shops in France and found them to be dearer than here, so I think is a sellers market and you'll find prices in line with the local rates.

There clothing range and accessories are decent with good prices. What might be a good point is if they will order stuff in from main land Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Any word on when the first store will open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

No date on opening but it's OFFICAL that they are indeed opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Been in the one in La Zenia in spain a few times, its a great shop. Hunting gear is class, have some of the solognac teeshirts and hats and they are great quality. Never got any of the trousers because they were all very light stuff when i was there so wouldnt be great for winter in Ireland but suppose they will cater to this market more.

Myself and the young lad would spend the day in the shop if we were let!

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Been in the one in La Zenia in spain a few times, its a great shop. Hunting gear is class, have some of the solognac teeshirts and hats and they are great quality. Never got any of the trousers because they were all very light stuff when i was there so wouldnt be great for winter in Ireland but suppose they will cater to this market more.

Myself and the young lad would spend the day in the shop if we were let!

I’ve used there steppe trousers for around 3 years, there not waterproof but I’ve never got soaked in them either, ripped them for the first time this year, not too bad for €25,

Advertisement