Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blockers 2018

Options
  • 06-02-2018 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Looks like good craic!!! John Cena looks pretty comfortable here!! Not as funny as the Rock, This will be good for parents that have had to deal with teenagers haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw it last night. Reviews have been very good but I thought it was patchy enough. When it was funny, it was genuinely funny though.

Leslie Mann was less annoying than usual too, which was a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr E wrote: »
    Leslie Mann was less annoying than usual too, which was a bonus.
    Jesus.. that's hard to believe...

I understand Apatow giving her work but no-one else should be.

Have heard decent reviews for this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Saw it at the weekend. Enjoyed it. Some very funny parts

Seen Blockers this evening. Thought it was dreadful, obvious and very much a 'writes itself' kind of film. Very much painting by numbers.

There were a few 'funny' scenes that kinda made me feel like they would have been really funny if the execution was done a little better
    like when they get sick in the back of the limo. Instead of signalling it way in advance and letting everyone know which joke was coming next, it could have been done a lot better, like when Charlie get's sick in the Limo in 'it's always sunny', for example

I know this genre has been done to death, but even films like American Pie, whilst it became silly and over the top a lot, it tried to stay somewhat realistic in it's jokes and scenes
    for example, yer man gluing his hand to his cock in American Pie on the roof is a ridiculous scene, but it's somewhat grounded in the film so it doesn't take you out of the film altogether, and ties in with the character. Cena's character, however, is extremely prudish, yet he chugs beer in his ass at the drop of a hat.. it makes no sense and completely pulls you out of the film altogether

All in my own opinion of course. I wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Basq wrote: »
    Jesus.. that's hard to believe...

I understand Apatow giving her work but no-one else should be.

Have heard decent reviews for this though.

This is Kay Cannon (Pitch Perfect) directorial debut, she might be a Mann fan :p

I like Cena and Ike Barinholtz so might check it out

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Awful! Just saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Watched this yesterday. This was a passable average American comedy. What took me out of the film right from the start, was John Cena's and Sarayu Rao's relationship. Did not buy it at all. No way in hell, a big muscular hunky white dude, marries a fugly Indian woman like that. Seemed like another instant of a liberal writer's dream world.

There's some really weird editing too. Like when they get the Uber/Lyft, and then it cuts to them just saying bye to the driver, like there was some scenes cut inside the vehicle. Also, when John Cena and Ike are in the naked couples' house and they're in the middle of the touching, etc., then it just cuts to the trio of parents back walking on the street. Like, what happened when the couple realised what was going on? How did they get out of the house again? It didn't show any of this or hint at what happened. Once the visual "joke" was done, who cares about making sense...a theme of modern comedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Watched this yesterday. This was a passable average American comedy. What took me out of the film right from the start, was John Cena's and Sarayu Rao's relationship. Did not buy it at all. No way in hell, a big muscular hunky white dude, marries a fugly Indian woman like that. Seemed like another instant of a liberal writer's dream world.

There's some really weird editing too. Like when they get the Uber/Lyft, and then it cuts to them just saying bye to the driver, like there was some scenes cut inside the vehicle. Also, when John Cena and Ike are in the naked couples' house and they're in the middle of the touching, etc., then it just cuts to the trio of parents back walking on the street. Like, what happened when the couple realised what was going on? How did they get out of the house again? It didn't show any of this or hint at what happened. Once the visual "joke" was done, who cares about making sense...a theme of modern comedies.

I saw this over weekend and enjoyed it but yeah you make some valid points on quick cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

What took me out of the film right from the start, was John Cena's and Sarayu Rao's relationship. Did not buy it at all. No way in hell, a big muscular hunky white dude, marries a fugly Indian woman like that. Seemed like another instant of a liberal writer's dream world.

Or maybe he doesn't find her "fugly"? I don't.

You must hate all of the comedy shows with fat white guys with uncommonly attractive wives or any movie were the middle aged or older man gets the significantly younger woman.

Or is it just that this movie had a white guy debase himself by being with a less than absolutely stunning non-white woman :rolleyes:?

Or maybe he doesn't find her "fugly"? I don't.

You must hate all of the comedy shows with fat white guys with uncommonly attractive wives or any movie were the middle aged or older man gets the significantly younger woman.
    Excuse me, but with that nose of hers? John Cena ain't marrying that. Look up her real life white husband. Spoiler: he's nowhere as hot as John Cena.

I'm not talking about other shows and movies, I'm talking about in real life. In real life, there's numerous instants of hot woman marrying ugly/fat guys for money or a better life, etc., but there's a lot less examples of hot guys marrying less than attractive women.
    Or is it just that this movie had a white guy debase himself by being with a less than absolutely stunning non-white woman :rolleyes:?
    What exactly are you implying here? Some SJW cause? Did I actually say something racist about non-white women? Or did I just point out something that I feel is true based social observations? I'm a white guy that's been with black women and sucked black dick, don't dare imply that I think white people debase themselves by being with a non-white person.

• Advertisement

Excuse me, but with that nose of hers? John Cena ain't marrying that. Look up her real life white husband. Spoiler: he's nowhere as hot as John Cena.

I'm not talking about other shows and movies, I'm talking about in real life. In real life, there's numerous instants of hot woman marrying ugly/fat guys for money or a better life, etc., but there's a lot less examples of hot guys marrying less than attractive women.

John Cena is hot? Sure he is very well built, but he has a cubic head, he looks like a lego man.
    And the shows and movies I linked to are relevant, as most aren't cases of hot women with ugly rich guys, just hot women with regular lower class slobs - wish fulfilment for the average joe. Weird that that doesn't bother you.
    And there are plenty of examples of hot men with less attractive wives - High Jackman, Macron etc.
    What exactly are you implying here? Some SJW cause? Did I actually say something racist about non-white women? Or did I just point out something that I feel is true based social observations? I'm a white guy that's been with black women and sucked black dick, don't dare imply that I think white people debase themselves by being with a non-white person.

Actually I said "a less than absolutely stunning non-white woman".
    If I'm wrong, then why did you bring race into it all? You could have said it was unbelievable that "a hot guy would be with such an ugly woman", but you specifically mentioned both races, as if him not being white or her not being Indian would somehow impact on the believability.

John Cena is hot? Sure he is very well built, but he has a cubic head, he looks like a lego man.
    And the shows and movies I linked to are relevant, as most aren't cases of hot women with ugly rich guys, just hot women with regular lower class slobs - wish fulfilment for the average joe. Weird that that doesn't bother you.
    And there are plenty of examples of hot men with less attractive wives - High Jackman, Macron etc.
    John Cena would be considered hot, generally, yes. He has no negative facial features, like a misshapen nose.

Movies or shows with fat/ugly guys in average jobs, with very hot wives is not (generally) believable either, but again, that is more common in real life too, than the other way around. I never said say these instants in shows or movies didn't bother me...weird that you continue to assume things about things I haven't even said.
    If I'm wrong, then why did you bring race into it all? You could have said it was unbelievable that "a hot guy would be with such an ugly woman", but you specifically mentioned both races, as if him not being white or her not being Indian would somehow impact on the believability.
    Because it's true. A hot muscular white guy, being with an older (Sarayu is two years older than Cena) Indian woman, with that nose, is not believable. It's just not, despite what Hollywood writes. The races are apart of the believability. It's something I believe is true based on what I've observed in real life, not shows or movies. Pointing out that lack of believability, does not in any way, make me intolerant or racist, and it's bizarre to paint me as such. Especially when I'm personally attracted to all races, and have zero issue with any interracial relationships. Would I like to live in a world where a fugly Indian woman can marry a hunky white American man? Sure, and I'd tell her to, "go gurl", but it's not what America is like, in real life.

Movies or shows with fat/ugly guys in average jobs, with very hot wives is not (generally) believable either, but again, that is more common in real life too, than the other way around.

And I said, there are numerous famous instances of hot men with less attractive women. Why is it that you assume this part of the movie is some liberal writers dream and not just a normal but not often represented coupling? Some anti-SJW cause?
    Because it's true. A hot muscular white guy, being with an older (Sarayu is two years older than Cena) Indian woman, with that nose, is not believable. It's just not, despite what Hollywood writes. The races are apart of the believability.

So all other aspects of attractiveness being equal, you are saying that you would find their relationship more believable if she was white or he was not white. But that's not racist?
    Pointing out that lack of believability, does not in any way, make me intolerant or racist, and it's bizarre to paint me as such. Especially when I'm personally attracted to all races, and have zero issue with any interracial relationships.

You can't claim to be tolerant of any interracial relationships when you clearly aren't tolerant of this interracial relationship between an older Indian woman and a white guy. You might be attracted to all races, but you clearly have the opinion that non-white women you don't find attractive shouldn't have attractive white husbands.

And I said, there are numerous famous instances of hot men with less attractive women. Why is it that you assume this part of the movie is some liberal writers dream and not just a normal but not often represented coupling? Some anti-SJW cause?
    Because a guy like John Cena is rarely, if ever, with an Indian woman like Sarayu.
    So all other aspects of attractiveness being equal, you are saying that you would find their relationship more believable if she was white or he was not white. But that's not racist?
    Not just on the race aspect, with the other aspects, yes, BECAUSE THAT'S REAL LIFE. It's not racist to point that FACT out. A racist believes that a particular race is superior to another, I DO NOT believe that at all.
    You can't claim to be tolerant of any interracial relationships when you clearly aren't tolerant of this interracial relationship between an older Indian woman and a white guy.
    Yes I can. I can claim to be whatever I want, it doesn't make it true or false. You can claim I'm not tolerant, based on your beliefs, but it doesn't mean it's true or not. You're arguing this like a typical Irish liberal, with no basis of actual real life American interracial relationships. I watched this film with a bisexual white American female, who's also been with non-white males and females, and she agreed the relationship is unrealistic. I would absolutely be tolerant of this relationship, if I saw it in real life, but it wouldn't and doesn't happen in real life, so I found it phoney. Again, that's not racist.
    you clearly have the opinion that non-white women you don't find attractive shouldn't have attractive white husbands
    Ugh, so frustrating arguing with someone who's foaming at the mouth to win an argument with someone they think is racist. I didn't say they shouldn't, I said one like the one in the film doesn't happen. Because it doesn't actually occur in real life, and I simply pointed that out, does not mean I think they "shouldn't" be with attractive white husbands, I have no problem with such a relationship, were it to actually occur. Can you understand that? If ugly women, of any race can marry a hot guy, of any race, good for them. I don't care. Point out again my "clear" intolerant opinions?

I also mentioned the terrible editing, if you want to actually discuss the film, white knight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Think that’s quite enough of a tangent about a woman’s attractiveness.

And please lay off the culture war name calling. The internet is already infested enough with that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

So, is it any good...?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I thought it was OK.. Ike Barinzholtz steals the show as per usual IMO.

Advertisement