Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenkara

Options
  • 06-02-2018 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever tried Tenkara on our rivers...recently got (ordered about 6 weeks ago, arrived today) a lovely looking and feeling Tenkara Rod from a well known Asian website.

It worked grand in the garden this evening! sooo looking forward giving it a go on the various rivers I fish come March. Cannot think of any huge advantages over normal fly rod as I fish very light anyway, maybe the close season got the better of me...will do up a report when I catch something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

One of my favorite grouchy writers John gierach has good things to say about it. What’s the site you got it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭whelzer

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Maxcatch-New-Arrival-Tenkara-Fly-Fishing-Rod-Multi-Size-Telescopic-10-8-11-10-12-9/32469354033.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.NzxkEj

I've ordered a few bits and bobs over the last few years - seriously good value but only if you can wait, had some stuff take 10 weeks to arrive. Kind of nice cos you forget all about it and a strange package arrives...lures or fly tying stuff that I had completely forgotten about. Some nice vids on youtube showing Tenkara in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Thanks for that, yeah AliExpress is crazy good value but the stuff does take a long time to arrive! I’m thinking of getting a travel rod so now I’ll have to dive back in there. Roll on the spring!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

I got a tenkara rod a few years ago and I rarely use it now.That's not to say that it doesn't have it's good points.I fished easky river with my son,him using the tenkara and me on the fly rod and he caught a lot more trout than I did.It is all about presentation with the tenkara as there is no flyline used and that certainly makes a difference,especially on rivers with low water conditions.There is something special about casting a fly rod though that you will never get from a tenkara rod.Having said that,it is nice to use it now and again when conditions are difficult.

Advertisement