Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chainsaw

Options
  • 06-02-2018 12:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭

looking for a new or secondhand chainsaw

new pro-plus at 229 euro, 20inch bar, and store says they are a great saw

what yous all think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Personally I wouldn't.
    What amount of work have you for it? Occasional work on fallen branches and it might do your job.
    I'd prefer to buy a s/h model from a main dealer for that money.
    Local place has one of the all metal HUsqvarna 61's for sale in great order, if I hadn't 2 already I'd buy it.
    Something like that, you will always get parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭new2me

I got a timberpro, its not a bad saw for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭new2me

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't.
    What amount of work have you for it? Occasional work on fallen branches and it might do your job.
    I'd prefer to buy a s/h model from a main dealer for that money.
    Local place has one of the all metal HUsqvarna 61's for sale in great order, if I hadn't 2 already I'd buy it.
    Something like that, you will always get parts.

Is the 61 a great saw, I was in the dealers today and they had a 66 saw gathering dust up above and didnt realise it was there, big big saw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The 61 was the yardstick by which many saws were measured.
    Long lived and well made.
    Wouldn't be as fast revving as a modern pro saw, but a good example is still a great saw.
    Only the last of them had a chain brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

First question is what do you need it for?
    20” bar is way too big for just cutting a bit of firewood.
    I use a 15” bar for most work, only needed a 20” bar last weekend for a wind fallen tree with a 30” diameter.

Can pick up a good second hand saw for small money or can pick up something small like a husky 236 for €160 new!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Have that pro-plus 20" and it is a fine saw. Have it about 6 years and no problems. Gets used in winter more than than other seasons but all year round usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Its hard to decide these unless you have held the saw and preferably cut a few blocks with one to get a feel for it. Don't get a foolishly long blade it will only weigh the saw down. But you can always change the blade

• Registered Users Posts: 47 tancoman

What do you think of the Pro plus? Is there something different about the mix? 40:1?

Advertisement