Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance with spent conviction

Options
  • 05-02-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

7 years ago I was convicted of dangerous driving, at the age of 18 while I was a learner. I also received a 2 year driving ban. It was a stupid mistake when I was young which I regret so please only comment with helpful advice.

I have not driven since but now at the age of 25 I am considering getting back on the road. Since this conviction is spent, does anyone know whether I will have to declare it to an insurer when looking for a quote? Some insurers like the AA state that spent convictions do not need to be declared but also ask whether you have ever received a driving ban. Would I need to declare my 2 year ban or does this, like my conviction, become spent after a number of years?

I'm just trying to figure out what my options are and what to expect.

Many thanks for any help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭the sheriff is HERE

It's always better to declare you don't want to pay for insurance and the insurers voids it because of not declaring a previous mis hap.

I'd also be careful with the reading of T&Cs,

Have you ever been convicted?
    Have you been convicted of a motoring offence in last 5 years?

You're going to have to read all policy document or provisions, did you do a quote with wrong name and address but your spent conviction is right?

Than do your own name and address with no conviction.

Just to gauge price or if there is a loading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

It's always better to declare you don't want to pay for insurance and the insurers voids it because of not declaring a previous mis hap.

I'd also be careful with the reading of T&Cs,

Have you ever been convicted?
    Have you been convicted of a motoring offence in last 5 years?

You're going to have to read all policy document or provisions, did you do a quote with wrong name and address but your spent conviction is right?

Than do your own name and address with no conviction.

Just to gauge price or if there is a loading?

Yeah set up another email and get the quotes in a different name sent to that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Dangerous driving convictions are excluded from the spent convictions act so must be declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 User19823

Dangerous driving convictions are excluded from the spent convictions act so must be declared.

As far as I'm aware, dangerous driving is included in the spent convictions act but is limited to one conviction per lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Agree above. ‘dangerous driving conviction’ within 10yrs must be declared.
    It’ll depends on the underwriter to decide if a loading is relevant.
    If you haven’t had any insurance since reinstatement of licence then possibly 1st policy may have some conv.load.

Online quotes are no good in your case as doesn’t come under ‘assumptions list’
    Doing quotes using different names or emails might make insurers think u hiding something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 User19823

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Agree above. ‘dangerous driving conviction’ within 10yrs must be declared.
    It’ll depends on the underwriter to decide if a loading is relevant.
    If you haven’t had any insurance since reinstatement of licence then possibly 1st policy may have some conv.load.

Online quotes are no good in your case as doesn’t come under ‘assumptions list’
    Doing quotes using different names or emails might make insurers think u hiding something

I've already spoken to a representative from the Department of Justice who has confirmed that dangerous driving is included in the act but is limited to one conviction per lifetime. This is also clearly stated in the spent convictions act.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

User19823 wrote: »
    I've already spoken to a representative from the Department of Justice who has confirmed that dangerous driving is included in the act but is limited to one conviction per lifetime. This is also clearly stated in the spent convictions act.

You'd want to be 100% sure on that. I'd get it in writing. A telephone opinion is not sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

Advertisement