Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp Duty for Side Garden Build?

Options
  • 05-02-2018 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I own a side garden. I plan to sell the house minus the side garden and build on it. Would this incur stamp duty?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

mike_2009 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I own a side garden. I plan to sell the house minus the side garden and build on it. Would this incur stamp duty?
    Thanks
    Sale of the house? Or building the new house?
    Sale of house obviously will.
    Building the new house won't (stamp duty is a tax on transfer of property) but by the time you pay your other charges e.g. council contributions you will wish that you only had to pay stamp duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Thanks - so no stamp duty for me to build or as a seller. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Off topic, you had better do this in the right order as the new owners could make life difficult for the new house planning ap/ services etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭dubrov

Surely the residential rate of 2% would apply on the sale of the house. The buyer would pay this though

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Thanks - yes, planning first, then bring in services, then sell. Toying with renting back house for 6 months under caretaker agreement but that would put off potential buyers and house is unlikely to be finished by that stage.....

Yep - buyer has their own stamp duty to pay....

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement