Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirBnB for bikes

Options
  • 05-02-2018 4:39pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was talking to a mate about this over the weekend. There is already an app like this for cars - in Ireland it's called Fleet and in the US there's one called Turo. You can rent out your car to other people and make money while you are not using it. The company takes care of the insurance so you are fully covered in case anything happens, but basically people tend to take better care of another persons vehicle than they would a rental car for example. For the rent er it works out way cheaper than renting from Hertz or similar. Anyway now there is a version for motorbikes - https://www.riders-share.com/. It's US only and does not have many bikes, but I like the concept.

The average bikes only does 3,000 miles per year. So many have several bikes and some may only get used a few times a year. I was discussing it as I'd love a touring bike to take the odd trip with the mrs - but in reality it would only be a few times a year max so not worth buying, would it not be cool to be able to rent someone else's bike?

Now i'm sure 80% of people would not let another living soul on their bike especially not a stranger - but some would. I think I would. As long as they dont crash or break anything, what harm would they do. You could have a second bike and rent it out and basically almost pay for the thing in the long term.

I wonder will this take off - what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Let some stranger drive my bike !!

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'll think about it and get back to you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Zascar wrote: »
    IAs long as they don't crash or break anything, what harm would they do.
    Wheelies. Lots and lots of wheelies.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Would you rent someone else's bike though? Something different for the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

just go to a proper bike rental place, I wouldn't fancy riding someones bike, nor giving mine to others. A spin up and down the road, maybe, but not a tour....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Grumpy Bike Wizard

Wouldn't be a fan of having to sit back on a bike with some other lad's farts embedded in it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Fleet app was not well received in the motoring forum.

Tax will make this not visible on this country. You'll pay 50% on what you charge so that means to make €50 you'll need to charge €100 and that's not a cheap rental anymore. And I still doubt the insurance implications regardless of what the company prints, unfortunately the only way to know for sure in this country is when the court makes a huge award against you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Not a ****ing hope lads, even my beater Fireblade which I give zero ****s about, would not be going on this.

Bikes are such a different animal to cars, imagine some clown signing up to this app and deciding, "Sure I'll rent yer mans S1000RR fer da craic loike!" after only passing his CBT.

From my POV, the only way I'd be signing up for this is with something like a GS500 or a Dullsville that would be bought/maintained very cheaply and with the sole intention of it being used to make money back.

Advertisement