Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increases in prescription medicines (SBP)

Options
  • 05-02-2018 12:11pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Susan Mitchell of the Sunday Business Post had a couple of pieces in yesterday's paper on the growth in prescribing of various medicines over the last 10 years. Anyone with a subscription should be able to access it here or else some of the figures were highlighted on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/susmitchellSBP/status/960111809805119488

Although the numbers weren't necessarily standardised for population changes or increases in the number of prescription items, the figures are pretty stark, in particularly the tenfold increase in Lyrica/pregabalin. I think this is a clear manifestation of the lack of investment in and public access to non-pharmacological treatments for pain, insomnia, depression and other mental health conditions. Without these being available, medicines are sometimes the only treatment a doctor can offer patients who can't afford to pay privately.

Any thoughts on some of the reasons behind these increases?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Kurtosis wrote: »
    in particularly the tenfold increase in Lyrica/pregabalin. I think this is a clear manifestation of the lack of investment in and public access to non-pharmacological treatments for pain, insomnia, depression and other mental health conditions. Without these being available, medicines are sometimes the only treatment a doctor can offer patients who can't afford to pay privately.

Any thoughts on some of the reasons behind these increases?

I think 10 years ago Lyrica was only fairly new to the market, so that may expain some of it.

I agree regarding the lack of non pharmacological treatments available but I'd counter it with the complete apathy that some patients have for anything that isn't a tablet, capsule or a patch, making it very difficult for the doctor to improve their symptoms without prescribing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I agree regarding the lack of non pharmacological treatments available but I'd counter it with the complete apathy that some patients have for anything that isn't a tablet, capsule or a patch, making it very difficult for the doctor to improve their symptoms without prescribing.

I agree. Many people say they would ‘do anything’ to improve their symptoms but bad mouth any doctor who mentions modest and badly needed lifestyle changes instead of waving a magic wand to solve the problem.

Advertisement