Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth upgrading from a Trek 1.2 on a €1k budget?

Options
  • 05-02-2018 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

I bought a (2013) Trek 1.2 on the Cycle to Work Scheme 5 years ago.

It has served me well, the odd commute, a few sportives and a few triathlons. I've clocked just over 3000km on it, so probably very light usage on average compared to most on this forum. The only real changes I've put on it are clip pedals (with shoes) and new tyres and chain last year.

I'm eligible for the Cycle to Work Scheme again now. I'm willing to use the full €1,000 allowance but not more. I'll be buying in a local bike shop (company restriction on the scheme).

While there are tax savings - is there much of an upgrade to a Trek 1.2 to be found at that budget? Or am I likely to be replacing like with like? I've a middle distance triathlon coming up in June so will be ramping up my cycling over the coming months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you shop around in a sale you might find a better groupset (105 or Tiagra equivalent). Wheels would probably be the best upgrade at that price point though

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭_Puma_

If you push the boat out a little on that budget there are some good deals on some not so well known brands. For a little bit extra you could get a full carbon. You might not get a full 105 chainset but in my opinion going for the Carbon frame is the best upgrade to make.

Orro Pyro 2018

Not trying to shill or anything but I own an Orro myself for the past 2 years and have found it great, excellent build quality, Have noticed them getting more popular on Irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Wheels would probably be the best upgrade at that price point though

Can you recommend a set of wheels that would make a good difference to the Trek 1.2?

If I don't use the C2W scheme to upgrade the road bike, I'm tempted to look at mountain bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

J o e wrote: »
    Can you recommend a set of wheels that would make a good difference to the Trek 1.2?

If I don't use the C2W scheme to upgrade the road bike, I'm tempted to look at mountain bikes!

You could also use the C2W to get a lovely pair of wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

You could also use the C2W to get a lovely pair of wheels.

But you need to buy an actual bike don't you?
    Or do you mean get a mountain bike and wheels for the road bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's illegal to just buy wheels on the CTW scheme, and against boards rules to promote illegal behaviour.

You can get an 11sp bike for 1100 from Rose or Canyon but doubt you'd get much of an upgrade in your local bike shop for that money.

I'd stick with what you have and save up a couple of hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

J o e wrote: »

My son crashed his Trek 1.2 into the side of a left turning car. The frame snapped completely at the down tube.

Front wheel was perfect!!

Hang onto them:D

Advertisement