Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing careers into IT

Options
  • 04-02-2018 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am considering a change of career and i have heard that there is jobs in IT from a few friends. I have a few questions though:

Is there jobs in IT, more specifically in software development (but I am open to other areas)?

what is life like in IT? (is it exceptionally stressful, how difficult is it etc)

what would be the 1st step into software development after I get the degree?

I plan to get my degree in a conversion course in UCC (computer science hdip- applied computing technology Ck008, can't post link due to this being my 1st thread), is that the minimum degree I would need to get into IT or would I need to or should I do a masters after?

Is there any computer knowledge that I should know before I do this course?

Sorry for all the questions, just don't want to go into something that I will end up hating. So I'm going to properly think about it before I go into it unlike what I did with pharmacy when I was 18.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mir2001

Hi Software development can be stressful but it is well paid and there are plenty of jobs in this area. I think if you really like programming then you won't find it so stressful.
    A masters degree isn't essential but some companies do prefer candidates with one although I imagine experience tops everything.
    You could do a short course (one night a week type thing) to see if you like programming?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Stop first.

Do you like programming? Problem solving? Engineering?

Don't jump at decisions just because there are jobs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

There are conversion courses that once you have your main degree gear you up to work in IT. While they do not provide as comprehensive a coverage as a degree they would allow you to get one's foot in the door of the industry as QA or Tech Support.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mir2001

Hi If it's any use, I did a post-grad in computer science and I managed to get into a developer role from that. I know a few who did the same. That was the late 90s so possibly it has changed but I would imagine that if you can get a high grade, some company will take you in, possibly a small one. You might have to start as a support person to get your foot in the door.
    Also, a computer science qualification can open the door to other IT roles such as automation engineer (writing code to test software), business analyst, UX area.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭docker.io

Had alook at the course modules, to be frank, that won't be enough to get a job as a jnr software development.

Do the course by all means, but i would get a Treehouse subscription and start learning C Sharp and .NET i wouldn't worry about python or C++ or Java at that unless you are looking at Android, but many companies are using C Sharp for android development.
    It seems roles in Cork are more foucs on C Sharp and .NET platforms with Sharepoint that is a must for many developers.

Create a GitHub account and start building programs and posting them up on github and add your Github profile to your CV.

I think this would be a better fit for getting a job in Software development.

https://courses.cit.ie/index.cfm/page/course/courseId/1924

• Advertisement
Advertisement