Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Sub and 2 tops. Stereo?

Options
  • 04-02-2018 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi Guys.
    Just wondering, I've always used 2 bins and 2 tops, but we are looking to slim down the rig.
    I use a vocal harmony pedal which needs two outs into 2 channels panned hard left and right.
    Do my question is this.
    If we had 2 active tops with 1 active sub with built in x-over, How would that work?

I've seen many people with this setup, but not sure if it's all mono. I've seen 2 ins and 2 outs on some subs, so I'm wondering do they take left and right inputs and sum them to the sub, and do the outs feed the two tops a left and right signal?

Any advice appreciated. Currently looking at the Behringer xr18 with 2 X EV zlx 12 and EV ax1 sub.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

The ear (or perceptual system) doesn't localise very well at low frequencies, so subs are routinely summed into mono anyway. In other words, we derive very little stereo information from frequencies below 100 Hz. Just run the tops in stereo (and full-range, perhaps?) and run the sub off one side of the tops (from the direct out). True, you'll be getting bass from only one side of the stereo mix, but this is not usually a problem. If your desk has a 'mono out' feed, you can use that to power the sub for a 'stereoised' sub feed. Some subs have Left and Right in, so the summing (of a stereo mix from each top, say) can be done in the sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

TroutMask wrote: »
    The ear (or perceptual system) doesn't localise very well at low frequencies, so subs are routinely summed into mono anyway. In other words, we derive very little stereo information from frequencies below 100 Hz. Just run the tops in stereo (and full-range, perhaps?) and run the sub off one side of the tops (from the direct out). True, you'll be getting bass from only one side of the stereo mix, but this is not usually a problem. If your desk has a 'mono out' feed, you can use that to power the sub for a 'stereoised' sub feed. Some subs have Left and Right in, so the summing (of a stereo mix from each top, say) can be done in the sub.

If I may say, that's a convoluted solution!

Buy a self-powered system that has a single sub and 2 satellites. It will all work properly, with properly summed sub and stereo bass-hi. Simples. :)

g

Advertisement