Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oatfields Emerald Sweets

Options
  • 04-02-2018 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

OMG one of my favorite sweets as xmas tradition has been destroyed. What have thsy done, no longer chewy and distict flavour. They actually taste stale now. I know the factory in Donegal closed in 2012, but these classic sweets should have died away with it rather than continue to be cheapened and ruined by Zen Candy.
    Anyone else get and realise they no longer seem same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I grew up in Letterkenny and still remember the smell wafting from the factory on my way to college.

I've never touched them since they moved, can't possibly be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Who are Zen candy?

Didn't Emerald sweets turn up along with a wile pile of other nostalgic sweets in Lidl a while back.
    Cousins in Scotland loved them here, they were on offer once & brought over some to them, as they already had a large storage box for them to admire.

Were they like Football Special, only available in the one place?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 geordieboy

I always loved them. But not anymore. Destroying my childhood memories now. Those and scots clan my loves, hopefully they dont go same path too

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grey_Goose

The new company should not be allowed to use the name and same packaging, because what they are selling is a total different recipe. The sweet is about half the size of the original, the toffee is totally different and the coconut has lost its authentic intense flavour. We are been conned.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Whoever owns the brand can put it on dishwasher tablets if they choose. The market is awash with 'legacy' or 'heritage' brands which have been effectively reused by companies which bought them off the shelf from a receiver. Example: Bush TVs are made in China for Argos. Beko own a shedload of old electrical brands and an Irish distributor called KAL owns the Nordmende brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I mean, just because they are allowed to doesn't mean at they should be allowed to, naieve as that is.

Advertisement