Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MA history with a BA 2:2

• 03-02-2018 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

For various reasons it looks like I might end up receiving a 2:2 for my BA. The Ucd webpage for MA history says there is a requirement of a 2:1. Do you think I should apply regardless? Or would I be wasting my time?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you really want to do it, then yeah it's definitely worth applying. If there are places available you will be considered. I don't know about the History MA, but plenty of courses say "2:1s only" but still accept 2:2s. Universities want your money at the end of the day.

In your personal statement point to positive things either in your transcripts or academic history that shows you can do well at masters level. Maybe there were modules that you did very well in that might be relevant to the course. Maybe you did better in a particular year/semester that you consider a more accurate reflection of your academic ability. Explain why you think you can do well using whatever evidence you can assemble. And without getting too bogged down in excuses, explain why you didn't do as well as you hoped and what you learned from it.

Also show that you've put some thought into your thesis topic and attach it your application. Email lecturers at the department and pass your thesis topic by them for feedback. Then mention that you did this in your application. All of this will look really good.

Afaik you'll need two references. So if there was a module you did really well in or a lecturer who knew you, meet them, ask for a reference, and tell them if there's anything you'd like them to mention in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 D12395

Thank you for your reply and advice, I'll definitely look into doing that.

Advertisement