Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bed for leaking dog

• 03-02-2018 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have had to rethink the dogs’ beds. I have just vet bed out at the moment. Should I put it in one of those plastic tub like beds? Never had one before. I need something that is quick and handy to wash/dry.
    Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Puppy pee pads, under vet bed, work really well.
    I have also used disposable nappies for an elderly female dog, with a hole cut for her tail... Would generally just use this at night or if I was going to be out at times she was likely to need to pee. They work really well too... You'll need big toddler ones for a lab sized dog! You can also get incontinence pants for dogs that might be better fit-wise for a bigger dog :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My friend used incontinence pads for her girl. You can get a big box of them in the chemist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

THanks guys I tried her before with human nappy/pull up and she went mad trying to rip it off!
    Just unsure what bed should I put under vet bed? Asked in vets they said they use it on the ground? Only 1 dog leaking but will do the same for both as they bed swap ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd put puppy pads or incontinence pads on the floor, then vet bed on top.
    No reason why you shouldn't get a plastic bed too, to be sure to be sure :)

DBB wrote: »

Tbh I didn’t know if a plastic bed was too hard? Any idea what size to get or the best place to get them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

If you would like a bit more comfort for your dog maby you could buy a cheap yoga mat around 5 euro and cut them to fit into the bottom of the plastic bed with the puppy pad over that and then the vet bed.
    That's what I used before during a rough time my dog was going through and he found the vet bed on the hard plastic was a bit hard on his older bones.
    Best wishes to ye

bertsmom wrote: »
    If you would like a bit more comfort for your dog maby you could buy a cheap yoga mat around 5 euro and cut them to fit into the bottom of the plastic bed with the puppy pad over that and then the vet bed.
    That's what I used before during a rough time my dog was going through and he found the vet bed on the hard plastic was a bit hard on his older bones.
    Best wishes to ye

Great idea thanks ;)
    Would you bother with a plastic bed?
    Started incurrin yesterday and still staying on propalin....fingers crossed it works!

DBB wrote: »

I have restricted the dogs to the kitchen. My house stinks of wee.....after a leak on the stairs. No amount of cleaning is cutting it so buying a new carpet :eek:
    I reckon it’s the underlay :(

Zooplus do a few vinyl/'artificial leather' ones that would just wipe clean if anything leaked down onto them - have a look at their outdoor/hygienic ones? I got a fabric cushion type one i got from homestore and the rustling drove me mad lol!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Second hand cot mattresses, they are covered and people don't tend to like buying them secondhand for their babies.

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    Second hand cot mattresses, they are covered and people don't tend to like buying them secondhand for their babies.
    Tbh she has atopic dermatitis too :rolleyes: so I threw out my son’s mattresses as thought they could be dusty for her?
    Anyway I really need something I could put in washing machine. Usually it is just a damp patch but two weeks ago it was like a river hence buying the new carpet on stairs!!!

Would a mattresses protector work? I actually have one on my mattress lol since I got a new bed before Xmas - in case either of the dogs get sick etc etc. I got mine in Ikea when I was getting the bed and mattress. The one I have is like a fitted sheet (as in it looks like a fitted sheet not like a plastic protector from years ago) but they have ones that are like a waterproof topper with a bit of padding too

tk123 wrote: »
    Would a mattresses protector work? I actually have one on my mattress lol since I got a new bed before Xmas - in case either of the dogs get sick etc etc. I got mine in Ikea when I was getting the bed and mattress. The one I have is like a fitted sheet (as in it looks like a fitted sheet not like a plastic protector from years ago) but they have ones that are like a waterproof topper with a bit of padding too

On my own bed I have an ikea one but it only really works if I caught it straight away! The proper plastic ones are the best....I have one on my older boy’s bed but I still wouldn’t fit mattress in machine. Sometimes my dogs lie on the ground rather than on a bed.....if she leaked it could go under mattress on ground :(

I am not taking chances on anything I can’t fit into washing machine and dryer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I was going to suggest using sawdust, cheap and you can spread it around the garden

I was going to suggest using sawdust, cheap and you can spread it around the garden

Yeah but not your sitting room lol!

I was going to say a raised bed up off the floor? Or even prop a plastic one up? You could put a pad underneath for insurance.

She is in kitchen. Honestly I can’t have her anywhere else in case there are accidents it takes so so long to wash and dry everything like cushions etc. I have two small kids too so enough washing tbh!!!! It upsets the other dog too. My house stinks of wee :eek: the old beds are in the bin now.
    Vet bed is perfect just thought I might put vet bed in something that could be sprayed and wiped like plastic bed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Oh Milem you poor thing it's so much work isn't it. It's so nice that your so concerned for the poor doggies comfort. With my dog it was after having tumours removed he started to wet himself and fortunately this only lasted for a few weeks.
    With my boy what I did was get the plastic bed and cut the yoga mat to fit it, then I had some cheap memory foam bath mats from Penney so I put one of them on top and then the puppy pad on top of that and then finally the vet bed. It was lovely and cosy for him and he really liked the bed as his safe place to recover.
    All of the things I used are totally machine washable and cheap as chips as it's kinda handy to have at least two of them all.
    Best wishes x

bertsmom wrote: »
    Oh Milem you poor thing it's so much work isn't it. It's so nice that your so concerned for the poor doggies comfort. With my dog it was after having tumours removed he started to wet himself and fortunately this only lasted for a few weeks.
    With my boy what I did was get the plastic bed and cut the yoga mat to fit it, then I had some cheap memory foam bath mats from Penney so I put one of them on top and then the puppy pad on top of that and then finally the vet bed. It was lovely and cosy for him and he really liked the bed as his safe place to recover.
    All of the things I used are totally machine washable and cheap as chips as it's kinda handy to have at least two of them all.
    Best wishes x

That is ideal! I am going to do that! She is a bit of a rascal and will eat anything so might leave out the puppy pad! She is terrible for eating dirty nappies or those disposable changing mats (used to use them on my son’s bed as mattress protector). I am hoping meds work as I don’t know how long I can keep cleaning up :( she is very quiet in herself in the house now but loves her walks so vet reckons it’s just old age. Younger human baby could start crawling in 3 months.

My other dog has loads of massive lumps absolutely huge (you can see them literally hanging down) Thank God the biopsies came back that they were fatty lumps :) all this wetting lark upsets her!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I made up a bed for my old guy when he was incontinent: very very thick pad of newspapers - maybe 6 or 8 newspapers - in a 'pad' on the floor. Put a sheet of thick plastic on top. Then maybe 1 newspaper on top of that, and then his vet bed. When the urine went through the vet bed, it got soaked up by the topmost newspaper, Dump that, wipe down the plastic sheet, new newspaper, clean vet bed. Job done in less than 5 minutes. I had several sheets of thicker vet bed cut a bit bigger than the newspaper pad, which I could wash and dry very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

My dog was leaking recently too and I got a dog bed in home store and more. Its a waterproof cover and it is excellent....it actually didn't leak to the padding at all. Its a zip cover so easy to take off and wash.

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/pet-beds/waterproof-pet-bed-large/invt/056504

• Advertisement

Ashbx wrote: »
    My dog was leaking recently too and I got a dog bed in home store and more. Its a waterproof cover and it is excellent....it actually didn't leak to the padding at all. Its a zip cover so easy to take off and wash.

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/pet-beds/waterproof-pet-bed-large/invt/056504

I have one of these too - super comfy - highly recommend. I throw a little fleece blanket on top as the waterproof cover is 'noisy' :D

:pac::pac: The home store one drove me mad!

Ha ha, you get used to it after a couple of days.

Why?!?
    :)

aonb wrote: »
    Why?!?
    :)

The ones I got rustled and would kind of puff up with air the it would all puff out when they lay on them - the dogs were a even bit iffy about getting on them lol. I banished one to kitchen crates inside a fleece cover from a bed with crap filling but nice cover :o and the other is at the bottom of a pile of cushions like the princess and the pea would sleep on! :p

I found mine quite noisy at the start but I did put a blanket on it first and once its been washed a couple times the rustling noise subsided!

I have had other "waterproof" beds before and this is definitely one of the best ones.

Advertisement