Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90Z electric shower malfunction

Options
  • 03-02-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi
    We have a Triton T90Z electric shower (new house, professionally installed) that worked well for two years.
    Just as the 2-year warranty period expired, the shower started to become a little more noisy than before (but not noisy enough to merit further investigation).
    Then two or three weeks later, although power was still reaching the unit, the water pressure reduced somewhat and no heating at all took place.
    So, now when the on-off switch on the unit is pushed, the blue light on the unit lights up, the water starts to flow at an adequate but not powerful flow but the water remains completely cold.
    Pushing the on-off switch again shuts off both the flow of water and the blue indicator light.
    I opened up the unit and found, with a continuity meter, that the on-off switch was not transferring power to the heating elements.
    I then did a quick test where I shorted out one of the heating elements across the on-off switch and the "heating noise" immediately started and the water became warm.
    However, the water pressure/flow did not change.
    So, looks like my on-off switch is knackered but is the pump working?
    Phoned Maynooth Shower Maintenance who I found to be particularly unhelpful.
    Nevertheless, the gentleman who took my call, although reluctant to tell me which part I needed to repair the on-off switch, did say that if the water flows when the unit is turned on, the pump must be working.
    However, I believe the water flows when the unit is on only because the solenoid valve has opened. Plus I saw no movement in the pump commutator when I shorted out the terminal on one heating element across the on-off switch.
    Anybody had a similar problem and knows what part(s) are required?
    I'm thinking of just permanently shorting out both heating elements and running the shower with the "pull-cord" as the on-off switch.
    Good idea/Bad idea?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's illegal for you to even have the cover off the shower let alone try repairs. I'm pointing that out because you are suggesting some VERY dangerous things. I'm not surprised the Maynooth maintenance guy was reluctant to give you any information. Sometimes a little information can be a dangerous thing

There is a pressure switch inside the shower. If the pressure isn't good enough it won't activate the pressure switch & the pressure switch won't send electricity to the elements.

Very hard to confirm over the Internet but it sounds like you have a restriction of water going through the shower. Could be a blocked filter, kink inside the hose or simply just a dirty shower head. If it's none of the above I'd suggest that the pump is faulty and running slower than normal. The shower may also be airlocked

It has nothing to do with the switch or elements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Shorted element across on/off switch?

I wouldnt be going near it again op after seeing that. The on/off switch does not directly switch on the elements.

As said already, if there is reduced water flow, this will stop the elements coming on, and makeshift bypassing this setup in any way is really asking for trouble.

Advertisement