Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Q: solid nut to thru-axle conversion?

Options
  • 02-02-2018 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi, a question for the bike techies, if anyone is interested?

I know you can convert a hub with a solid nut axle to a quick release (maybe not in all cases), and that you can also convert a quick release hub to take thru-axles, so does it follow that I could convert a wheel with a solid nut axle to thru-axle reasonable easily?

You might reasonably ask why, of course. The (rear) wheel in question has an electric hub motor, and was thinking of using it on a new steel frame that would have thru-axles.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

surely a lot of modification will be needed to the drop-out in the fork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Itsfixed wrote: »
    ....... The (rear) wheel in question has an electric hub motor......

The axles on the electric hubs that I am familiar with are connected internally to the motor 'stator' and wiring and under the reactive (equal and opposite) torque force of the motor. Hence, the axle is often flattened and special torque washers are used to prevent 'spinout' or turning of the axle under motor force, which would damage the hub and wiring.
    Hence, these axles cant be easily changed.

PS It may be possible to fit the electric hub wheel to the frame in question without changing axle of hub motor. You can measure this beforehand and also that dropout is deep enough to accommodate axle and part of torque washers that sits into dropout slot. You might need to fit or remove extra washers to get spacing/chainline and check that axle is long enough and will fit etc. Be careful and especially make sure that torque washers are secure.

If the frame has a hole instead of a u shaped dropout, I cant see how it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you use wing nuts on the axle it’ll be a quick release. And no other mods would be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Joe1919 wrote: »
    The axles on the electric hubs that I am familiar with are connected internally to the motor 'stator' and wiring and under the reactive (equal and opposite) torque force of the motor. Hence, the axle is often flattened and special torque washers are used to prevent 'spinout' or turning of the axle under motor force, which would damage the hub and wiring.
    Hence, these axles cant be easily changed.

PS It may be possible to fit the electric hub wheel to the frame in question without changing axle of hub motor. You can measure this beforehand and also that dropout is deep enough to accommodate axle and part of torque washers that sits into dropout slot. You might need to fit or remove extra washers to get spacing/chainline and check that axle is long enough and will fit etc. Be careful and especially make sure that torque washers are secure.

If the frame has a hole instead of a u shaped dropout, I cant see how it can be done.

Thanks for this, sounds like it would be a PITA, alright. It's just an idea at this stage, but probably need to look at other options. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

ted1 wrote: »
    If you use wing nuts on the axle it’ll be a quick release. And no other mods would be needed

I don't think so, since the whole idea of thru-axles is that you completely remove the axle to get the wheel out, no?

• Advertisement
Advertisement