Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Main driver/named driver car insurance question

Options
  • 02-02-2018 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

2 cars scenario

Car 1 - Main (Him) and Named Driver (Her), ownership in both names

Car 2 - Main (Her) and Named Driver (Him), ownership in both names

2 cars new scenario

Car 1 - Main (Him) and Named Driver (Her), ownership in Her name

Car 2 - Main (Her) and Named Driver (Him), ownership in both names

Question - in new scenario can Him remain as Main Driver with Her as Named Driver, even though the ownership has changed??

Has the ownership on the VRC got anything to do with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ownership on the VRC is largely irrelevant - someone can be the legal owner of a vehicle despite not being named on the VRC. For married couples, effectively the vehicle is owned by both parties regardless of who is named on the VRC.

In effect, it's basic contract law. If I sell a TV to you, it's yours. Likewise, if I sell a car to you, it's legally yours. The legal transfer of property isn't contingent on the documentation having been transferred over.

That said, the name on the VRC can be used as evidence of ownership, which is why one should do their best to ensure that it's correct. An insurance company could try to get out of their obligations by showing that your name isn't on the VRC. You would then have to make a counter case to prove that the car is actually yours, you just haven't put your name on the VRC.

I was told that I couldn’t insure the car on my policy because it was his name on the log book. This was 5 years ago and might have changed since. I got car transferred into my name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Insurers generally ask if the vehicle is owned by you AND registered in your name

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I was told by RSA that it would be ok for Him to remain as Main Driver and Her remaining as Named Driver even though the VRC would show Her as vehicle owner, they said there is no issue with it:confused:

Insurers generally ask if the vehicle is owned by you AND registered in your name

I’ve never been asked that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Some insurers care if the car is registered in a spouse's name, some don't. You just have to ask that specific insurer. I know one who doesn't care which name it is in so long as the main driver is the policy holder. Another company says that the absolutely has to be registered in the policy holders name, no exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

vicwatson wrote: »
    I’ve never been asked that

I'm sure you have, or at least it will be in the assumptions you agreed to. A quick look at Aviva's, for example, and it's there

I'm sure you have, or at least it will be in the assumptions you agreed to. A quick look at Aviva's, for example, and it's there

Yeh could be in the assumptions but never verbally asked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Aviva, and Zurich as well if I remember correctly, have no problem with the car being in one of the married couples name while insured by the other as long as the person named as the main driver does most of the driving.

Advertisement