Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVB-T tuner for PC w LibreElec?

Options
  • 02-02-2018 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I am retiring a Windows 7 Media Centre by converting it to a LibreElec box. It's a PC with a silent power supply, fanless motherboard (Asus E45M1-M), 4Gb RAM, 40Gb SSD, and a couple of Hauppauge tuners

* WinTV Nova T-500 (DVB-T)
    * WinTV Nova HD-S2 (DVB-S)

I swapped in the new (actually old) drive today and installed LibreElec (8.3.2) and TVheadend (4.2). The satellite channels were all detected ok by the DVB-S tuner but I got diddly squat from the DVB-T tuner. Both worked with Windows 7.

I live in an area between the Mt Leinster and Kippure transmitters and had no reception at all on VHF but got a UHF aerial when the digital switchover happened and subsequently got new TVs. I don't know what our TVs are tuned to; as far as I can see it is all done automatically. I've tried telling TVheadend to use each of the transmitters but it hasn't made any difference.

Any suggestions?

New drivers? New tuner? (which?) Software bugfix?

So far I'm pretty impressed with both LibreElec and TVheadend. Haven't figured out what to do to get a proper programme guide yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I had a quick google, found your thread on tvheadend haha also found the below.
    https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-500

Check if it's one of the diversity ones ?
    Also how familiar with linux are you ? may need to dive into dmesg to see if it's downloading the firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PJtharsaile

Hah :-)

Thanks for that. I bought the card in the UK years ago (2007) but it only has one aerial connector so I don't think it's a Diversity one (it's labeled Rev DD85. Assembled in Malaysia for whatever that's worth). It shows up as having 2x DiB3000P DiBcom DVB-T demodulator & USB controller but I didn't "manually activate" the LNA, indeed I had no idea what an LNA is. I do now.

Been using Linux for a while. Happy to follow instructions for any OS. I'll see what I can do. If it's a hassle I'll just buy a USB tuner. I can see possible reinstallations in future and would prefer it didn't involve too much footering.

I missed that link somehow (I did search) but I was tired and thought I'd try my luck with some posts in case it was a "don't waste your time" job. On one of my attempts to get it to work I foolishly added http://autoiptv.net/playlist.php for IPTV just to have a look. Many hours later I decided it was all far too much and that I'd revisit IPTV later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If it comes down to getting a PCI-e card for the PC then I suggest TBS ..... use a TBS 6281 myself and before that a 6280 (I think) which was its predecessor. No trouble from either and worked well on LibreElec (and Openelec before that).

USB tuner dongle can be got for €8 to €10 each.
    I have a couple of RTL2832 devices which LibreElec is happy to use.

There are a number of threads on HTPC section about different set ups, particularly for distribution to other devices on the LAN, as well as plenty posts abut EPG in LE.

BTW, I don't use IPTV at all, but use devices with Kodi installed and the tvheadend client.

I had a quick look for a card or USB tuner in a couple of places today (PC World and Harvey Norman). Not just did they not have them, they didn't know what they were. (As an aside, I don't know why PC World seems to employ so many English staff here who haven't got a clue. Are they sending them here for international experience or what?)

Thanks anyway. The card seems a bit pricey compared to a USB device, and the latter is at least usable with a Raspberry, so I'll probably go that route if I have to buy something.

I used Plex on the Windows box to distribute to other devices. The hardware could handle the transcoding but Plex crashes were not unusual. I think there's a plug-in for LE but will sacrifice Plex if I have to. Easier recording is the nr 1 aim. That and getting Microsoft out of the house (after this I have to see if I can Garmin Express working in a virtual machine so I can update the satnav without a Windows PC in the house).

I've installed the new firmware ok.

dmesg finishes up with
    [ 13.458048] dvbdev: DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0])
    [ 13.458060] cx88-mpeg driver manager 0000:06:00.2: DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (Conexant CX24116/CX24118)...
    [ 13.711565] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
    [ 13.711773] dvbdev: DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T)
    [ 13.721015] usb 4-1: DVB: registering adapter 2 frontend 0 (DiBcom 3000MC/P)...
    [ 13.729661] MT2060: successfully identified (IF1 = 1218)
    [ 14.331747] rc rc1: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.2/0000:05:00.0/0000:06:01.2/usb4/4-1/rc/rc1
    [ 14.362432] Registered IR keymap rc-dib0700-rc5
    [ 14.366098] input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.2/0000:05:00.0/0000:06:01.2/usb4/4-1/rc/rc1/input15
    [ 14.366186] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 50 msecs.
    [ 14.366190] dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T successfully initialized and connected.
    [ 14.366501] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_dib0700
    [ 15.626090] r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link up
    [ 15.626115] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
    [ 15.634393] 8021q: 802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8
    [ 16.867360] usb 4-1: DVB: adapter 2 frontend 0 frequency 0 out of range (48000000..860000000)
    [ 16.879059] cx24116_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload (dvb-fe-cx24116.fw)...
    [ 16.884772] cx24116_firmware_ondemand: Waiting for firmware upload(2)...
    [ 23.789422] cx24116_load_firmware: FW version 1.23.86.1
    [ 23.789440] cx24116_firmware_ondemand: Firmware upload complete
    [ 23.953993] cx88-mpeg driver manager 0000:06:00.2: DVB: adapter 1 frontend 0 frequency 0 out of range (950000..2150000)
    [ 24.107784] usb 4-1: DVB: adapter 0 frontend 0 frequency 0 out of range (48000000..860000000)

is there an equivalent to ukfree.tv where I can get info on the frequencies and other info that needs to be entered:

mux.png

or is this configured automatically? I guess it's loaded when I choose a predefined mux from the list for Ireland. I've got a scan running just now with the LNA box checked. Nothing so far.

• Advertisement

I've installed the new firmware ok.

dmesg finishes up with

is there an equivalent to ukfree.tv where I can get info on the frequencies and other info that needs to be entered:

mux.png

or is this configured automatically? I guess it's loaded when I choose a predefined mux from the list for Ireland. I've got a scan running just now with the LNA box checked. Nothing so far.

Selecting the correct Irish transmitter from the list is all that is required. That will automatically provide the two muxes.
    After that it is a matter of connecting the aerial feed and ticking initial scan and (maybe) idle scan in tvheadend.

It's scanning but not finding anything (signal is ok when plugged into the TV). :confused:

It's scanning but not finding anything (signal is ok when plugged into the TV). :confused:

Maybe show a pic of

Tvheadend - Configuration - DVB Inputs - Networks tab.

Regarding editing the Mux this is what mine shows

edit_mux.png

If you have edited the muxes I would delete them and select again from the list presented.

That looks v different. What transmitter are you using? Here's what I'm seeing for Mount Leinster

u2RNArg.jpg

I think the problem may be that we (TV's) are not tuned to either Mount Leinster or Kippure but to a secondary transmitter that is not in the list offered by TVheadend.

http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/transmitters/ points to a list on a site called Techtir but the URL is duff as it's now .com site, not a .ie one (discovered this via the Internet Archive).

Found this, finally: http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Oct-2013.pdf (2ndary transmitters and frequencies, but still leaves several parameters to be discovered).

That looks v different. What transmitter are you using? Here's what I'm seeing for Mount Leinster

[IMG]http s://i.imgur.com/u2RNArg.jpg[/IMG]

There will be slight differences due to each transmitter using frequencies that do not interfere with other transmitters within range.
    I think the problem may be that we (TV's) are not tuned to either Mount Leinster or Kippure but to a secondary transmitter that is not in the list offered by TVheadend.

I don't know what you mean when referring to tuning TVs when the tuners are being managed by tvheadend. :(
    http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/transmitters/ points to a list on a site called Techtir but the URL is duff as it's now .com site, not a .ie one (discovered this via the Internet Archive).

That is not relevant and refers to analogue transmissions.
    Found this, finally: http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Oct-2013.pdf (2ndary transmitters and frequencies, but still leaves several parameters to be discovered).

You should quite messing about with setting up the muxes and delete the muxes created so far, and just accept the muxes set up when you select your local transmitter from the list. Do not alter any of the parameters; they are correct.

• Advertisement

The problem, I think, is that the transmitters known to TVheadend do not work for me (Mount Leinster, Kippure). I think our reception (TVs are using it) is from a secondary transmitter (possibly Laragh, maybe Arklow).

I live in the shadow of a "mountain" (small one) so reception from the north -- Kippure and Three Rock is nil. We were supposedly on Mt Leinster before the digital switchover (DSO) but the reception was negligible (unusable). Afterward the DSO, we got a UHF aerial installed and suddenly had terrestrial TV for the first time. I neglected at the time to check where the signal was coming from.

Since selecting one of the secondary transmitters is impossible how would you advise getting TVheadend configured?

Unfortunately, I'm not able to see how the TVs are tuned without retuning them, and even then I'm not certain that'll tell me anything.

I don't follow your comment about analogue transmitters being irrelevant. The list of transmitters I'm interested is for digital transmission. The caption on the list is

Digital Television Transmission Network

Have I missed something? The list is not a list of analogue transmitters and I agree it would not be relevant if it was.

I've received advice on TVheadend to install and run something called scan, which I'll try to do. This will, hopefully, reveal what frequencies the aerial is receiving. After that I'll have to figure out how to use the information. Advice welcome.

I suppose you have checked through this coverage page
    https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

It seems only the following transmitters are listed for tvheadend
    ie-CairnHill
    ie-ClermontCarn
    ie-Dungarvan
    ie-HolywellHill
    ie-Kippure
    ie-Maghera
    ie-MountLeinster
    ie-Mullaghanish
    ie-SpurHill
    ie-ThreeRock
    ie-Truskmore
    ie-WoodcockHill

If you are not using one of those then you are correct and will need to manually set up the two muxes. :(
    I was not aware there were others for DTT.

Any of
    scan
    w_scan
    or
    scandvb

should be able to get the info you need.

Maybe even running Kaffeine and using its scanning would do the job.

This is a sample file generated by w_scan for Maghera
    #------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # file automatically generated by w_scan
    # (http://wirbel.htpc-forum.de/w_scan/index2.html)
    #! <w_scan> 20170107 1 0 TERRESTRIAL IE </w_scan>
    # location and provider: <add description here>
    # date (yyyy-mm-dd)    : 2017-10-17
    # provided by (opt)    : <your name or email here>
    #
    # T[2] <freq> <bw> <fec_hi> <fec_lo> <mod> <tm> <guard> <hi> [plp_id] [# comment]
    T 690000000 8MHz  2/3 NONE    QAM64   8k 1/32 NONE	# 2RN 1
    T 746000000 8MHz  2/3 NONE    QAM64   8k 1/32 NONE	# 2RN 2

If you are doubtful when setting the values for the mux in tvheadend, try to use the 'auto' option if present.

I've since discovered that my TVs are receiving from Kippure (Channels 58 and 54). Couldn't get anything from TVheadend at all.

Installing and running wscan results are here https://tvheadend.org/boards/4/topics/31207?r=31226

Beginning to seem like too much hassle. Will look at an RTL2832 device.

I am using two of these presently .... on 24/7 for the past month or so while testing.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/DVB-T-RTL-SDR-Realtek-RTL2832U-R820T-Tuner-USB-Receiver-Dongle-PAL-IEC-In-I3L0/322965157620?hash=item4b323936f4:g:cNwAAOSwc2FaRQv3&clk_rvr_id=1432687222504&rmvSB=true

All seems goo so far.
    So cheap it is worth getting a spare or two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

For what it's worth while anywhere else around my house I receive saorview on 682 & 658 but exactly where I have my pc for tvheadend I receive on 498 & 474

I'm using an rtl sdr dongle similar to above, getting good signal with just the little free aerial that came with it

mostly auto settings too... just chose 8MHz and the frequency and it did the rest

For what it's worth while anywhere else around my house I receive saorview on 682 & 658 but exactly where I have my pc for tvheadend I receive on 498 & 474

I'm using an rtl sdr dongle similar to above, getting good signal with just the little free aerial that came with it

mostly auto settings too... just chose 8MHz and the frequency and it did the rest

You are obviously in a position that you have great signal from two transmitters.
    The majority require an outdoor aerial to receive a signal which is therefore 'pointed' to one transmitter. ;)

I don't even need to put food in the microwave for it to heat up :D

Hah. I'd have plunked for a couple of those if I'd seen your note in time. I had JUST ordered one of these

Decided to add a 2nd to have a spare (good advice, thanks). Annoying to have to wait so long for this but I'm not persuaded a PC card is worth the money, and tbh I watch ~0 on RTE anyway.

that's identical to the one I have, that little aerial is what I'm using

Hah. I'd have plunked for a couple of those if I'd seen your note in time. I had JUST ordered one of these

Decided to add a 2nd to have a spare (good advice, thanks). Annoying to have to wait so long for this but I'm not persuaded a PC card is worth the money, and tbh I watch ~0 on RTE anyway.

That one is also good, and it has the full sized coax socket which a lot do not have. That makes things much easier to connect. ;)

• Advertisement

And that's exactly what I looked for, the combination of RTL2832, confirmed to work, plus the full size coax connector. I know for sure that I'll get nothing useful with anything less.

Advertisement