Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

New York Recommendations? - Woodbury Common or Jersey Gardens

• 01-02-2018 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm travelling to NY in October and am looking for some recomendations or suggestions as to what to see / do / where to eat etc..

also looking for feedback on the outlets which is better Jersey Gardens or Woodbury Common.

I've heard that there's no sales tax in Jersey Gardens but there is in Woodbury Common and that it's cheaper and quicker to go to Jersey Gardens. On the other hand I've heard there's more shops and better bargains to be had in Woodnury Common -

What would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Justin10

I went to one of the outlets, honestly not sure which one it was but I felt it was a waste, prices in macys etc was not far off the outlets.

To do I'd besides the usual stuff I'd highly recommend walking the brooklyn bridge and check out Dumbo and down by the water front.

Then get the subway up north and check out some of the cool bars in brooklyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The recession is over!

I would not even contemplate a shopping thing in NY. There is just so much more to experience. But each to their own I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Depends on what you're looking for. Jersey Gardens has more high Street type outlet stores whereas Woodbury Common has more designer type outlets.

Really don't think you need either with the likes of TJ Maxx, Century 21 and most importantly DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse) being packed with deals along with the offers, sales abs clearance racks of pretty much every major shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Jersey Gardens. Bought Vans for $20 dollars each...€75 here in schuh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Jersey Gardens for sure. Its closer, easier to travel to, cheaper, and had more bargains.
    I didn't find Woodbury Common much good at all but always make time for at least 1 trip to Jersey Gardens when I'm in NY.

If you look up the website, there's a list of shops on it. I found the Kate Spade and Michael Kors stores to be particularly good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Is there any other way to get back to Manhattan from Jersey Gardens than the bus or taxi? I was there last year and it was a two hour wait for a bus back. Took all the good out of the shopping trip. But the mall itself is good. The coupon booklet costs $5 though .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Just to be aware that some brands produce clothing lines that are specially made to be sold at outlets. These lines generally tend to be of poorer quality compared to the main brands. The Gap family of brands are probably the most well known for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Thank you :)

Is there any other way to get back to Manhattan from Jersey Gardens than the bus or taxi? I was there last year and it was a two hour wait for a bus back. Took all the good out of the shopping trip. But the mall itself is good. The coupon booklet costs $5 though .

oh you have to pay for it?

When I was there in 2015 you got it for free if you produced your passport! Although a fiver is grand for the extra savings you'll get!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

When I was there in 2015 you got it for free if you produced your passport! Although a fiver is grand for the extra savings you'll get!

oh you have to pay for it?

Yes. You do have to pay for it now. It was only last year that i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Personally I always found Woodbury Commons to be the better of the two. Haven't been there in a few years, but as others have said, check out their list of stores online and see which one suits best...

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Rmgblue

Wouldn’t waste my time going to either again. Too much to do and see without spending half the day on a bus to save a few dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Been to both. I'd prefer Jersey Gardens, both in terms of shopping and transit time. We rented a car when we went to WC, just got a taxi to JG.

You can probably pick up similar deals in the city itself, Century 21 or Macys. When we were last there, Nov 16, the exchange rate was terrible so deals weren't fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Rmgblue wrote: »
    Wouldn’t waste my time going to either again. Too much to do and see without spending half the day on a bus to save a few dollars.

More like hundreds.

Bought a whole new wardrobe and Christmas for under $700 dollars once.

If I even bothered to do that here it would cost me €2,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

If you decide to go to Jersey Gardens, go early & leave early, once beyond 4pm the traffic back into NYC can be horrific
    We went by bus, it was grand, as regards bargains, the exchange rate isn't great but the Mrs had a great day, filled two large holdalls

If you decide to go to Jersey Gardens, go early & leave early, once beyond 4pm the traffic back into NYC can be horrific
    We went by bus, it was grand, as regards bargains, the exchange rate isn't great but the Mrs had a great day, filled two large holdalls

I was there in 2015 and the rate was 1 euro - 1.09 .... it's not about 1.22 so much better deals to be had. I'm thinking what you said - go early and come home early. I've heard horror stories online of the last bus being too full so people have had to get taxi's back!

Advertisement