Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting cutting in

Options
  • 01-02-2018 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Have a 3 bed house to paint, I have painted all the ceilings no problems look great I have painted the walls no problems look great but my only problem is I just can’t do the cutting between wall and ceiling.

I have used a few different brushes but it’s not them it’s me I think it’s a skill I just don’t have any ideas please. Did look up a painter but there looking for high money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I get eye level on a chair or ladder , 4 inch brush, good lick of paint to flow and I go slow resting my baby finger knuckle on the ceiling as a guide.

Enough paint and slow is the key so it flows nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sheet of card board or plastic or some sort of thin metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Plenty of patience and practice, I used a 4 inch angled brush and it works great

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

I'd recommend a smaller brush if you find it difficult. Work the paint up to the corner then turn the brush and allow the trailing bristles to push the paint up towards the corner. It does take some practice but is definitely doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dane29

Its worth buying a good brush. Pay a bit extra for a good one and its definitely easier. A brush with very fine bristles. I got one before that had a slight angle in the bristles and it was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Thanks for the replies I bought some plastic strips in b&q for holding to the edge hopefully these will help me out some what but it is definitely a skill. I’m even starting to dread finishing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I use low tack masking tape. Then paint the edge of tape nearest the wall with same colour as ceiling(if your ceiling is white you can also use decorators caulk. you do this to prevent the bleeding of your wall colour underneath the tape. Wipe with clean dry cloth and leave to set for a bit. Cut in with wall with chosen colour and away you go. Straight lines every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Practice and good brush like 4" "Purdy" is the best for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

You can buy a paint brush for cutting ( angle brush ) - not sure if Woodies or B&Q stock them but worth taking a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

Would recommend one of these - https://www.woodies.ie/dulux-perfect-edges-1-5-triangle-brush-1087686

1. Paint ceiling first and get the paint well into the edge joining wall - even going down wall a bit to make sure you have decent coverage.
    2. Let ceiling dry!
    2. Using brush above or similar, load nicely with paint and use a good steady stroke along edge for a few inches at a time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement