Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance question

Options
  • 01-02-2018 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction..

26 years old, full licence for the past 5 years, have been driving as a named driver under my fathers name for the last 6 years, my policy was in and around €900 last year. Was planning on getting insured in my own name (finally) in a few months time however..

Was involved in a small accident two weeks ago, bumped into the back of a 172 car in traffic. They got back to me today to say the bumper is cracked, they got a quote from where they bought the car, €1,000 to get it repaired.

He is giving me the option of paying it myself or going through the insurance company. Question is, which would I be better off doing?

If I go through the insurance, how much more will it work out for me when I go to get my own claim? (Was getting quotes of around €1,100 prior to this). Also, will my fathers insurance spike up on his own car? He has no claims bonus for 10+ years. I am sure the policies will be more expensive but has anyone any idea how much we are talking?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Personally I'd pay yourself.

I went onto my husbands insurance when I moved to Ireland, then 5 years later I had an accident. About a month after the accident I needed to get a policy in my own name and because I now had a claim and only named driver experience, my insurance went up from around €700 to €3500.

If the other driver in my case had given me the option to just pay for the repair, it would have literally saved me thousands.

Edited cos I got my timelines mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Your dad's insurance will go up,and your quote will rocket.I don't think there's any scenario where it would be better to trouble the insurance company with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

100% pay it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Okay cheers for the replies guys. One final thing, will it make a difference if my father has full No Claims Bonus protection and step back? Or are we fecked either way? Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Whether you pay it or not, you will still have to declare this accident to future Insurers. Also, it it a condition of your policy that you must notify your insurer. This condition is there to protect you in case an injury claim is lodged up to 2 years after the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Okay cheers for the replies guys. One final thing, will it make a difference if my father has full No Claims Bonus protection and step back? Or are we fecked either way? Thanks again.
    Whilst his bonus will be protected,his base premium may well rise steeply and if he shops around next year,he will have to declare it to the new company..
    Why are you even considering getting your dad entwined in this when a grand will make it go away?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Danger still is the other driver could come back with a whiplash claim.

Advertisement