Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance on Irish provisional (held for 6 months)

Options
  • 01-02-2018 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

I've been looking around for a quote on an irish provisional that iv had since july 2017. And so far the best i've been quoted is 3600e, thats from a broker and the company is located somewhere in europe and not regulated by the central bank of ireland. (i was going to go with this but they're being too vague on an upgrade option to a full licence when and if i pass the test in a month or 2).

The only other quote i've gotten was for 4,400. And have rang maybe 10 different companies in the last couple of days, and nobody is quoting on a provisional under 1 years old.

Any advice on a possible insurance provided in my current situation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I've been looking around for a quote on an irish provisional that iv had since july 2017. And so far the best i've been quoted is 3600e, thats from a broker and the company is located somewhere in europe and not regulated by the central bank of ireland. (i was going to go with this but they're being too vague on an upgrade option to a full licence when and if i pass the test in a month or 2).

The only other quote i've gotten was for 4,400. And have rang maybe 10 different companies in the last couple of days, and nobody is quoting on a provisional under 1 years old.

Any advice on a possible insurance provided in my current situation ?

If your planning on passing your test in a month or two I'd just wait it out it will be half the price your getting now.
    Do insurance company's even drop the price for insurance you already paid for If you pass your test?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    If your planning on passing your test in a month or two I'd just wait it out it will be half the price your getting now.
    Do insurance company's even drop the price for insurance you already paid for If you pass your test?

Well i've read about some companies giving a midterm discount after upgrading to a full licence (other dodgy places hiking up the price for an upgrade). But again the brokers im talking to about the cheapest quote i've gotten so far are saying "it depends" and being pretty vague on the matter of a midterm upgrade.
    I might just wait it out, currently on my 3rd driving lesson and after 12 you can apply for the full test. But cannot book the test until all 12 driving lessons are completed, so i've no idea how long the wait might be after i've finished up the 12 lessons.

Im waiting on a couple of call backs right now, maybe ill get a better quote which is unlikely, or possibly a midterm upgrade option.

Does anyone know if cancelling an insurance policy on an insurer that isnt regulated by the Bank of ireland, and not paying the hefty cancellation fee after cancelling, say afew months in just outright cancelling and going to a different provider after obtaining a full licence. Would this effect getting a new policy ?

Im just wondering about this, it sounds messy. The broker that got me the quote has a 35euro cancellation fee which i would happily pay them, but warned that the insurance company themselves (which isnt located in ireland) has a hefty fee if cancelling the policy, and also warned that if they ever liquidated id get no refund (as they're not regulated by Bank of ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I might just wait it out, currently on my 3rd driving lesson and after 12 you can apply for the full test. But cannot book the test until all 12 driving lessons are completed, so i've no idea how long the wait might be after i've finished up the 12 lessons.

3 months ish.

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Test-Waiting-Times/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Depends on were you are, my sons friend just completed all 12 lessons applied for test, got a date, June! now thats in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Alwandy

As sadly I do not have any family members in Ireland, I had to get insured under my name to practice drive with a friend of mine. Luckily, KennCo insurance offered me for a 1,2 Opel Corsa 2400€ which I happily accepted!!

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Depends on were you are, my sons friend just completed all 12 lessons applied for test, got a date, June! now thats in Wexford.

Well yeh. The list I linked to says average 5 months in wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Well yeh. The list I linked to says average 5 months in wexford.

Far too long.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Far too long.

Ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement