Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going abroad for 6 months. Continue paying car insurance?

Options
  • 01-02-2018 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Does no claims bonus reset once you stop paying insurance? Or does it pause?

Heading off on a trip and don't want the headache of first time driver premiums when I come back. I'm thinking I need to keep paying it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i think your NCB holds good for a period of 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I'd be more worried about the car itself, parking up a car for six months can cause problems.

Getting someone to drive it once a month would be helpful.

As for insurance, you can pause the policy, but you'd want to be able to park it up somewhere off the public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

colm_c wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the car itself, parking up a car for six months can cause problems.

Getting someone to drive it once a month would be helpful.

As for insurance, you can pause the policy, but you'd want to be able to park it up somewhere off the public road.

I may even scrap it. It's a real banger.

Does the NCB still hold up if the car doesn't exist any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Suspend the policy.

That means the ncb will continue to be earned until the policy expires and you will get money back from the insurer based on the length of the suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Suspend the policy.

That means the ncb will continue to be earned until the policy expires and you will get money back from the insurer based on the length of the suspension.

The policy expires in May. I'll be abroad by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

The policy expires in May. I'll be abroad by then.

Return the Cert and disc with note to suspend. Make any payments you have left. In May you’ll receive a renewal notice with any suspense rebate and NCB will be valid for 2yrs.

Suspended policy still earns NCB and if needed covers fire and theft damage on vehicle is still exists

Advertisement