Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - building a childs racing bike

Options
  • 01-02-2018 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I bought a Planet-X Giovanissimi (20") road frame + fork last year for my son. However I have been struggling to find the parts to build it. I need the works - all except the frame and fork. It's his birthday in 3 weeks and I need it complete for then.
    Has anyone on here done this before? Or does anyone know where I can source the parts? At this point I would probably prefer to let an expert build it too since I would have to take my time if I was to do it myself.
    www.kidsracing.co.uk/ can supply the parts but that will cost a bomb so I am looking for an alternative if possible.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a million,
    Slo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

It is normally more expensive to build a bike than to buy a complete one, particularly if you are under time constraints.

You could of course buy a bike and swap the parts onto your frame (or sell the frame to fund the bike...). Anyway (not knowing your budget) you might have a look at Chain Reactions, e.g.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/brand-x-road-bike/rp-prod165484

There are a number of other sites too with lots to offer too I am sure others here can direct.

A local bike shop might also be an option. Call in and have a chat they might build the bike for you if you buy all the components etc from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Thanks com1
    But that link, like most bikes on the market is far bigger than what I am working on - I have a 20" setup and they are much harder to come by than the bigger ones.
    Slo

com1 wrote: »
    It is normally more expensive to build a bike than to buy a complete one, particularly if you are under time constraints.

You could of course buy a bike and swap the parts onto your frame (or sell the frame to fund the bike...). Anyway (not knowing your budget) you might have a look at Chain Reactions, e.g.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/brand-x-road-bike/rp-prod165484

There are a number of other sites too with lots to offer too I am sure others here can direct.

A local bike shop might also be an option. Call in and have a chat they might build the bike for you if you buy all the components etc from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lismuse

If you dont mind me asking......What height is your son ?
    I have some experience in adapting smaller framed bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

You could try a local bike store(s) that stocks kids bikes perhaps. Even if they don't sell the components themselves they might be able to refer you to other sources.

Might be of limited use to you based on location but Joe Daly Cycles (Dundrum, Dublin) sell the Frog range of kids bikes, including the drop-bar'ed road bikes, so they might be worth contacting.

lismuse wrote: »
    If you dont mind me asking......What height is your son ?
    I have some experience in adapting smaller framed bikes.

He is 3' 8" = 1.12m
    I know...he's probably at the lower end what fits on the 20' racer but I think he's fine.
    Any help/advice would be great! Maybe even the build...
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Well I have of course tried my own 2 LBS's but they were limited in what they could do for me. But I will definitely try Joe Daly's.
    Thanks for the heads up.

doozerie wrote: »
    You could try a local bike store(s) that stocks kids bikes perhaps. Even if they don't sell the components themselves they might be able to refer you to other sources.

Might be of limited use to you based on location but Joe Daly Cycles (Dundrum, Dublin) sell the Frog range of kids bikes, including the drop-bar'ed road bikes, so they might be worth contacting.

Just spoke to Dave in Joe Daly Cycles and he was very helpful - basically he was pretty sure he can get what I need and even build it for me if needs be. He also has the Frog brand as you mentioned so if I come up short on my building my current bike, there is a backup plan.

doozerie wrote: »

Sounds like you are sorted so.
    I would suggest that drop bars (as per the link) at that age/height may not be the best idea. The main thing is to get them out and cycling and enjoying the freedom.
    The Frog 52 might suit him or an Islabike Beinn 24 small if you can find one. Hope he takes to it whatever the model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Piggy-backing the thread: does anyone knows a cheap source of 24" wheels or rims, in 520mm size (not the BMX's 507mm)?

Apparently they used to be popular for junior road bikes, but can't find them anywhere in a decent enough price.

Bought the same frame (Giovanissimi) from PX and feel kind of stuck...

I may have a source but it will take a while to suss out.Have you tried 540 x 25mm on that frame ?
    I know it looks like they wont fit but until you try .........
    To me that frame is very limited and best avoided. When you move up to the 24" (540)wheel frames there are better options and most will take 26" as the child gets older.

• Advertisement

Have you tried 540 x 25mm on that frame ?

I'd love to, if I had a pair to try.
    To me that frame is very limited and best avoided.

It costed me 36 euros total. In worst case (if I won't find the wheels) I'll have a set of components to build another size ;)

At the end I've managed to hunt down two new Sun Ringle ICI-1 rims (520x16mm) for 16gbp total :)

The rest should be easy, especially if I'll go for straight / bullhorn bars.

Advertisement