Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sir John Rogerson's Quay

Options
  • 01-02-2018 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

I see now they are building extended bicycle lanes up near the Samuel Beckett Bridge end and also building a thick kerb too. This i am guessing is now making the bicycle lanes wider than where vehicles can drive.

Is there really any need for this?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Probably 5 years work in it based on how long they have been working on city quay downward. 1 crossing point from the bridge at city quay down until sprout is retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

TRIVIA: Bicycles are vehicles too (a mobile machine that transports people or cargo).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Desperately needed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bigar wrote: »
    TRIVIA: Bicycles are vehicles too (a mobile machine that transports people or cargo).
    plus, they operate at pretty much 100% passenger capacity, where cars operate at only 25% capacity generally!

• Advertisement

plus, they operate at pretty much 100% passenger capacity, where cars operate at only 25% capacity generally!

True and they are the fastest mode of transport in the City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I see now they are building extended bicycle lanes up near the Samuel Beckett Bridge end and also building a thick kerb too. This i am guessing is now making the bicycle lanes wider than where vehicles can drive.

Why the thumb down?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

In the NL I saw them frequently operating at 200% and 250% capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there was a contra-flow lane here before, then for reasons unknown they changed it to a with-flow lane but people continued using it in both directions. They now seem to be putting in a fully segregated 2-way lane in conjunction with the flood protection works, but it's taking forever to complete.

(also the flood wall is ugly as hell, never mind Clontarf, I can't believe they've gone with something so utilitarian in the city centre).

In the NL I saw them frequently operating at 200% and 250% capacity

My neighbour takes his two kids to school each day on the one bicycle. 300% :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why the thumb down?

Apologies for only answering Your question now: Why? I feel the obsession with widening bike lanes is hindering the flow of traffic. And I honestly cannot understand the thickness of the kerb being installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....I feel the obsession with widening bike lanes is hindering the flow of traffic....
    Bicycles are traffic too. Anything that hinders private motorised traffic in favour of cycling traffic is a positive step for the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Apologies for only answering Your question now: Why? I feel the obsession with widening bike lanes is hindering the flow of traffic. And I honestly cannot understand the thickness of the kerb being installed.

Do you mean traffic or motorized vehicles?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This i am guessing is now making the bicycle lanes wider than where vehicles can drive.
    do you mean a one way cycle lane is wider than a one way lane for cars? or a two way cycle lane is wider than one lane for cars?

we're a tough crowd.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Open up the city to other road users.
    Remove cars from the city centre, the majority of which will be slow moving diesels vomiting out their cancerous fumes.
    Encourage more people to take up an activity that makes people fitter.
    Possibly reduce the number of red light breakers
    IIRC statistically a cyclist will spend more in the city than a motorist
    Reduce the likelihood of an RTA between a car and a cyclist where there is usually one side coming out worse than the other.

What's not to like about the plan?

Advertisement