Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grease Trap

Options
  • 31-01-2018 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi there, I am looking for advice on a grease trap. I have a coffee shop in Wicklow, and now, it is law to have one, regardless if you cook or not. In my case, i do more baking than cooking, but Irish Water says that even the grease left in a cup of coffee can be bad for the environment. The new law has already taken place in Dublin, but it is new to Wicklow, and I just don't know where to start. What type of grease trap do I need for a small coffee shop? Do I clean it myself or do I need to pay a company to come and clean it for me?
    If anyone has already done it, any bit of advice is well appreciated !!
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Hi OP

We are using "GreaseShield Grease Traps" in all our new units. Easy to maintain and clean.

Kind regards Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Hey OP

As someone who used to work in this industry, I would recommend a small passive type grease trap, be installed outside your premises if possible (but if not, under your sink). Like one of these: http://www.kentstainless.com/our-products/stainlesssteeldrainage/stainless-steel-grease-interceptors/ground-recessed-internal-grease-interceptors

As a coffee shop, you should have relatively low volume, but will need to clean 2 - 4 times per year. The problem with coffee shops is dairy fat going sour, which can cause bad smells if not cleaned regularly. 
    Companies like McBreen Environmental, Drain Doctor etc provide good service and can also help you out here.
    The reason I favour the passive to the mechanical type (such as greaseshield, grease guardian, big dipper etc) is that these mechanical units require daily cleaning, have mechanical parts so require a power source, and are not sealed so there is a higher risk of smells.

Generally speaking, Irish Water's inspectors will be helpful (without recommending a particular grease trap), and will usually give you time (say 3-6 months) if you communicate your plans with them. 
    There is also free services like SwiftComply that will help with the registration process and reduce inspections by submitting compliance reports online. They may advise on grease traps  too, not sure.
    All the best

Advertisement