Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute from Kinsealy to Booterstown

Options
  • 31-01-2018 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I am looking to start cycling from kinsealy to booterstown from next month. Has anyone done this commute? Not sure if I should go over toll bridge and down strand road or through town and down Merrion road. Also, is it possible to go through east point business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Not done that as a commute, but if I head that way I prefer Samuel Beckett Bridge to the toll bridge. Merrion Rd. isn't as cramped as Strand Rd also. https://goo.gl/maps/2G8x1tWK24v

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I go south side to northside, on the way I use the east Link via Irish town as opposed to going over through the toll bridge. On the way back I use the Samuel Beckett bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Whelcon

Thank you. Im sure it will be a matter of just trying different routes. Never commuted by bike before so any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Whelcon wrote: »
    Thank you. Im sure it will be a matter of just trying different routes. Never commuted by bike before so any advice appreciated.
    Carry tyre levers, spare tubes and a pump.

Leave as much as possible in work. I keep shoes, trousers , dry cycling clothes , towels etc in work. I just bring in sock , jocks and a shirt.

I also keep my lock in work, no point bringing it in and out everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I go across east link, through the gap into Ringsend and the Tritonville Road onto Sepertine Avenue the whole way to the RDS. Take a left and straight out to Booterstown.

It’s far more relaxing than the East link road, Sean Moore road and Strand Road. The east link road and strand road are quite narrow and motorists don’t think twice of pressurising you or close passing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've a variation on that southbound, but i do cross the east link early (probably around 7am) - i take a left off the malahide road at the bottom, go via alfie byrne road, and across the east link - through the tolls, which are not too bad at 7am, and out strand road and onto the rock road.
    in the evening, the variation is i continue north on the strand road into ringsend, and cut right at the church and drop onto the east link on the northern side of the tolls (usually around 4:30 or 5ish) and continue north - at that time of the day, you'd be mad to use the sean moore road and through the tolls to cross.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've taken a similar route on occasion when going to Vincents from Portmarnock. I would avoid the east link, never liked crossing it, and head down the Malahide road into Fairview and cross to the south side at the customs house then aim for Merrion Road that way. On the return I would cross at the Samuel Beckett bridge. I don't think crossing the east link shortens your journey by a huge amount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

based on the above, i went malahide road - fairview - seville place - beckett bridge - cardiff lane - ringsend this morning. don't think it affected my overall time too much, but felt a hell of a lot more stop-starty between fairview and the strand road, than i'm used to; got caught at about about three times as many traffci lights than my usual route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

i've a variation on that southbound, but i do cross the east link early (probably around 7am) - i take a left off the malahide road at the bottom, go via alfie byrne road, and across the east link - through the tolls, which are not too bad at 7am, and out strand road and onto the rock road.
    in the evening, the variation is i continue north on the strand road into ringsend, and cut right at the church and drop onto the east link on the northern side of the tolls (usually around 4:30 or 5ish) and continue north - at that time of the day, you'd be mad to use the sean moore road and through the tolls to cross.

I do this also, although I always go through Ringsend.

OP, East Wall road I always find okay as the traffic is usually stopped, Strand Road was my pet the until I realised that I should give myself plenty of room and take primary position for all the mini roundabouts. From the Merrion Gates its all bus lane, which is okay apart from taxi's. There is a dedicated bike lane from Bellvue Ave. to Booterstown.

I suspect however, the most hazardous part of this journey could be from Kinsealy to the Malahide road. In which case high powered sets of lights and high viz clothing are a must.

Advertisement