Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which version of Angular to learn?

Options
  • 31-01-2018 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

I'm looking to up-skill in Angular at the moment as I'm going to be applying for a few new jobs. I have a rather basic understanding of Angular JS.

The job descriptions don't necessarily specify the version though and I understand that Angular 2 is very different from Angular 1?

Should I bother learning Angular 1 in order to get as much of a chance to qualify for jobs on the market at the moment?

The jobs I would be applying for are ASP.NET / MVC / Angular.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

No recommendations?

I want to take advantage of the Udemy course sale, but each course is around 2 weeks to go through including exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

"AngularJS" refers to Angular 1.x

"Angular" refers to anything from Angular 2.x and above.

AngularJS and Angular do share a fair few ideas but really they are more different than they are similar.

The current stable version of Angular is 5.x but don't be alarmed by the 2 -> 5 jump. Versions 2, 4, and 5 are pretty much the same thing with incremental improvements , whereas 'AngularJS', or Angular 1.x, is a very different thing.

Unless a specific job you want to apply for requires AngularJS / 1.x, then I'd definitely favour learning 2+. You'll pick up a lot of good JavaScript (and TypeScript, and RxJS) knowledge along the way which will be transferable to most other modern JS frameworks or platforms. Whereas learning AngularJS is a bit more of a dead-end.

I'd like to grab a few more courses as well...

I see BackboneJS mentioned a lot on listings. Again I have a little experience with this, although it was a few years ago so things may have moved on.

I've no experience with NoSQL, so I'll add that as well.

Is NodeJS worth adding to the mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

NodeJS is server-side JavaScript. If that's of interest to you, it's worth knowing.

I've not seen much (or any tbh) interest in or demand for BackboneJS in a few years. I used it myself about 5 years ago and didn't enjoy it at all. I'd say there's better uses of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

I wouldn't recommend Udemy courses for learning Angular, if you are serious about learning it then ng-book is what you want. They offer a two subscription packages, one for the ebook alone and the second for the ebook and screencast. The subscription gets you updates for 12 months, so when Angular 6 and 7 emerge later this year you will get a new version of the material which will cover the changes etc.

Egghead.io is another resource I would recommend for a JavaScript developer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

I see BackboneJS mentioned a lot on listings. Again I have a little experience with this, although it was a few years ago so things may have moved on.
    BackboneJS hasn't been updated i almost 2 years so I wouldn't worry about it having changed since you last used it.

If you are looking to drop money on Udemy courses then you should check out the courses by Stephen Grider, everything I've seen of his courses is professional quality.

Talisman wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend Udemy courses for learning Angular

Really? I thought this one looked rather good?

https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-guide-to-angular-2/

EDIT: bought, can't really argue with 9.99 .. I'll check out the ng book too, thanks

Advertisement