Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal section closure

Options
  • 31-01-2018 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know what's going on with the section of the Grand Canal closed from the R120 (Grangecastle area)? Hadn't cycled it in a week or two and when rocked up yesterday it had barriers and concrete blocks closing it off.

I didn't see any signage about a diversion coming from the above direction heading East but may have missed them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Missus Doubtfire

I came down that way a couple of weeks ago and the trucks that were servicing the building site were using that stretch as access. You can access the canal via Haydens Lane facing Lucretia Tiles/Kilsaran Concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Idioteque wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone know what's going on with the section of the Grand Canal closed from the R120 (Grangecastle area)? Hadn't cycled it in a week or two and when rocked up yesterday it had barriers and concrete blocks closing it off.

Thanks

It's in relation to the R120 Adamstown (Newcastle) road upgrade. Think they are building a temporary bridge at the moment for traffic on the road to use while they can then work on the existing bridge upgrade.

You can find details about the upgrade, with plans, here:

http://www.sdcc.ie/services/roads-and-traffic/road-infrastructural-projects/r120-adamstown-road-improvement-scheme

It's been a long time in the making - should be a great improvement to the road. Essentially they are making the road straight from the bridge to the junction where Polly Hops pub was.

I was hoping that they would continue the greenway under the bridge. From the plans it looks like there are lights on the road to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Yeah it's a bit of a weird one - no signage I could see saying why it's closed - I would have thought being a public access point for pedestrians and cyclists it'd have a bit of info of what's going on, for how long, diversion options etc.

I've put a call into Waterways Ireland and SDCC so hopefully one of them will have more info - will update if I hear anything back.

Advertisement