Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roman Reigns Appreciation Thread

Options
  • 31-01-2018 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭

74ef556682059ff0b1b184d375f25170.jpg

I've noticed on this forum as well as elsewhere that there is frequent criticism sent the way of Roman Reigns to the point where it feels like it's a routine response. I understand why people feel this way for a variety of different reasons, but as time goes by I find myself thinking the flak he attracts is extremely harsh.

The guy is only 32 years old and has consistently entertained me in high profile matches I've seen him in, most recently last night where he did a second job to Miz of late in a good match. He has a terrific look that would not look out of place in Hollywood. I see why Vince and Hunter look on him as the best current candidate to be wrestling's top full-time guy because I don't see any obvious slam dunk alternatives. Names I've seen suggested to be pushed in his place seem to me to carry their own drawbacks.

While I agree his character could have done with a change of direction long ago, ultimately he's not the one booking the shows and this seems like a harsh stick to beat him with. He's pretty much the only guy in history to have such a sustained main event level push without a singles heel run to precede it, which even Cena was able to get.

With all that being said, rather than have every thread turn into a slanging match about the guy, how about a space for those of us who think he actually brings a lot to the table? How about a bit of appreciation for the big dog? Anyone want to join me in expressing some props to the guy? Don't be shy. :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

tenor.gif

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Anyone that thinks Roman isnt a star or able to wrestle to a high standard is simply not watching the product.

Roman is a victim, like many of poor booking. Hes not perfect, he has his faults, but they guy is more than capable of holding his own with the best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

he has come a long way and was pretty sound at the Smyths singing in Dublin in 2013

He's not a cert to be a full on babyface for the rest of his career and can actually play a decent heel

Imo he's not face of wwe material but a main eventer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I won't deny he has good matches

I can't stand his ultra try-hard cool guy act and his shíte promos.

• Advertisement

He's grand like, I'd see him in the Randy Orton vein moreso than anything else. He's not captivating enough to be a must see guy, but he's obviously good enough for the main event.

Didn't need to go over Taker though. That was a silly booking move.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I won't deny he has good matches

I can't stand his ultra try-hard cool guy act and his shíte promos.

But thats the character hes told to play, its how Vince sees his top baby face. Hes doing what hes told.

And id agrue that while hes no Rock or Punk on the mic, hes far from awful.

He's grand like, I'd see him in the Randy Orton vein moreso than anything else. He's not captivating enough to be a must see guy, but he's obviously good enough for the main event.

Didn't need to go over Taker though. That was a silly booking move.

Why was it silly, id argue it be more silly putting over a beat up over the hill legend thats on his way out. If anything it was a silly booking move putting Roman in the ring with Taker at his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

beakerjoe wrote: »
    But thats the character hes told to play, its how Vince sees his top baby face. Hes doing what hes told.

And id agrue that while hes no Rock or Punk on the mic, hes far from awful.

Yeah I remember one of his worst moments was that Sufferin Suckotash promo he did which everyone hated (rightly so) and I believe Vince was the one heavily involved in those segments. I think Vince has the mindset that what works in a Cena promo needs to be applied to everyone else. I remember Sheamus being given some terrible lines as well back when he got his big push.

The match itself was silly. It wasn't going to help Reigns with the fans unless it was the genesis for a heel turn, which it never turned out to be. With regards to putting a younger guy over, no doubt that Taker is old school like that, but Reigns at that point didn't need the rub considering Vince did everything short of naming a star in his honour in the skies above to push him. The match didn't really need to happen in the first place, because Reigns wasn't compelling enough a character to make the match dramatic. Since the streak was broken (also a crappy booking decision, but I'll spare myself the acid reflux), Undertaker at Mania lost a little of the mystique,and if that was Undertaker's retirement match (hard to say right now), it was a disappointment in every category from match quality, opponent and story told.

My point is that by booking him to beat Taker, WWE inevitably made Reigns more unlikeable. They never really let him develop organically, and that shows with his promos and his generic character. He's grand in the ring, not as bad as his detractors say, not as great as his fans say. He's a good hand and that's not a slight on the guy at all. I just don't see him as the guy; he'll be a well pushed main event guy, but he'll never be someone that I would see as being a proper main event star. He's too hard to get emotionally invested in because there's not much compelling about an onscreen character that never has anything more than a momentary setback. We've seen that with Cena, and Cena is acres ahead of Reigns in mic work, charisma and working.

• Advertisement

Yeah I remember one of his worst moments was that Sufferin Suckotash promo he did which everyone hated (rightly so) and I believe Vince was the one heavily involved in those segments. I think Vince has the mindset that what works in a Cena promo needs to be applied to everyone else. I remember Sheamus being given some terrible lines as well back when he got his big push.
    It was an awful scripted promo and it was totally unnatural for Roman. It did him no favors.

On the flip side I remember his promo after Mania last year. He showed he has the ability to work the crowd despite the abuse he receives. Cena developed this over the years and Roman is slowly learning this art too

The match itself was silly. It wasn't going to help Reigns with the fans unless it was the genesis for a heel turn, which it never turned out to be. With regards to putting a younger guy over, no doubt that Taker is old school like that, but Reigns at that point didn't need the rub considering Vince did everything short of naming a star in his honour in the skies above to push him. The match didn't really need to happen in the first place, because Reigns wasn't compelling enough a character to make the match dramatic. Since the streak was broken (also a crappy booking decision, but I'll spare myself the acid reflux), Undertaker at Mania lost a little of the mystique,and if that was Undertaker's retirement match (hard to say right now), it was a disappointment in every category from match quality, opponent and story told.

My point is that by booking him to beat Taker, WWE inevitably made Reigns more unlikeable. They never really let him develop organically, and that shows with his promos and his generic character. He's grand in the ring, not as bad as his detractors say, not as great as his fans say. He's a good hand and that's not a slight on the guy at all. I just don't see him as the guy; he'll be a well pushed main event guy, but he'll never be someone that I would see as being a proper main event star. He's too hard to get emotionally invested in because there's not much compelling about an onscreen character that never has anything more than a momentary setback. We've seen that with Cena, and Cena is acres ahead of Reigns in mic work, charisma and working.

But id that Romans fault or a fault of how hes booked. Its the latter

To be fair, Virgil could have done the Night After Mania promo with a crowd that hot and angry. It's not a taxing thing to go "This is my yard now" and walk off. They never capitalised on that heat and made the character do something with it

beakerjoe wrote: »
    But id that Romans fault or a fault of how hes booked. Its the latter

I know it is, it's why I talked about why it was a bad move for WWE to push Reigns over Taker because of the inevitable backlash. I'll return to my original point; he's good, but I don't think he's great. He doesn't deserve half the hate he gets online, but I wouldn't see him as anyone to get overly excited about, especially in this era of wrestling. He's a natural for the Randy Orton spot and that's a handy spot for anyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

It shows as well how the WWE can't get people to really dislike heels these days, Shinsuke and Orton last year both got big cheers when they won the rumble in part because they finished the match out with Reigns and them winning meant him not winning. In the past they would have had a heel in Reigns role there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I do wonder, is Reigns special or just treated as such?

I can't recall him doing anything really special. He is no AJ Styles but AJ has about 15 years on him in experience.

In WWE they have a lot of well trained and or very experienced performers. The main difference is how they get booked well and get time to perform. Time is the big one, even a relative novice like Velveteen Dream can put on a great bout when given time like we saw against Tommy End/Aleister Black.

What I am saying is, Roman is good, not great, can get better as he gets more experience. I would like to see him challenged more, to do more than the kick, superman punch, power move stuff. I think he can get even better than he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He is the Anti Rusev the more he pushed the less he is over.

Rusev gets sandbagged every week yet get the reactions Vince is praying for for Reigns.

Roman has a good look and size he is decent without being great in the ring his mic and promo work is decent but not a stand out.

He is a solid pro nothing more as of yet.

Advertisement