Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Front derailleur?

Options
  • 30-01-2018 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Question about front derailleur. I was trying to adjust my front mech and adjusting the cable tension and it seems that I have screwed the barrel adjust near the shifter all the way out and now the barrel adjuster doesn't work and doesn't adjust the cable tension.

I looked online for research and think I've found the answer which is this.
    "hould be easy to fix. To make getting it back in easier slacken off (undo) cable at derailleur to take all tension off cable. Slide outer housing out of barrel adjuster at shifter. The barrel should now be easier to align back up with housing to screw it back in.

Screw barrel all the way in then unscrew about 2 turns. Insert outer cable to barrel (and cable stops on frame if it has come out). Reconnect cable at derailleur - do not pull too tight (sounds like you already discovered why). Now you can fine adjust using barrel adjuster."

But my question is, I'm unsure how I'm supposed to slacken off or undo the cable tension . Do I unscrew and remove the cable at the derailleur and put it back in after? Tia any help appreciated

Note* The bike is about 4 months old with not a lot of use and I'm fairly new to cycling and am fairly new to gear adjustment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

1. If you need it to go slack, get an allen key and loosen the one that clamps the cable to the front derailleur. Shown in this image here:
    75192-largest_1_cable_anchor.jpg

2. If it is only four months old, most bike shops do the first service free so maybe pop back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭R.dufy454773

CramCycle wrote: »
    1. If you need it to go slack, get an allen key and loosen the one that clamps the cable to the front derailleur. Shown in this image here:

So I just unscrew that bolt, undo the cable completely, adjust it and then put the cable back in and tighten the bolt?

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CramCycle wrote: »

So I just unscrew that bolt, undo the cable completely, adjust it and then put the cable back in and tighten the bolt?

Thanks

Just loosen the bolt cable, no need to take it out, once the bolt is loose, the cable will go slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭R.dufy454773

Ah ok, I get it now, thanks a lot Cram:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement