Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai i40 clutch issues

Options
  • 30-01-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at buying either an Avensis or an i40. I much prefer the i40 but Googling has brought me to lots of hits with Hyundai / Kia clutch problems and it's scaring me off and putting me closer to buying the Avensis. Both cars will be circa 2012 manual and diesel. Am I over concerned?

Thanks
    Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The i40 diesels do give savage clutch trouble. Hyundai do cover them under warranty so chances are a '12 ish car will already have had it replaced, however the replacements aren't much better.

It's easy for a layman to check anyway, there are 3 easy symptoms:

Is the pedal difficult to press?
    Does it grind going into gear?
    Is the bite point right at the floor?

Yes to any of those and it needs a clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

The i40 diesels do give savage clutch trouble. Hyundai do cover them under warranty so chances are a '12 ish car will already have had it replaced, however the replacements aren't much better.

It's easy for a layman to check anyway, there are 3 easy symptoms:

Is the pedal difficult to press?
    Does it grind going into gear?
    Is the bite point right at the floor?

Yes to any of those and it needs a clutch.

Thanks for this. I'd much prefer an i40 but after having my heart and head wrecked by a BMW all I want now really is a safe and reliable family car. My Dad is on his 2nd Avensis and these things just seem to go and go and go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

@Toyotafanboi, I understand the Gearboxes on the i40 (and i30's) aren't the best either.
    Ever heard anything about this ?
    I'm in a similar position to the OP and didn't want to start a fresh Thread on the same Car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    @Toyotafanboi, I understand the Gearboxes on the i40 (and i30's) aren't the best either.
    I'm in a similar position to the OP and didn't want to start a fresh Thread on the same Car.

Tucson ain't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Have a look at a Superb.

• Advertisement

Wonder how many the gardai go through???

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Livefornow

Pal of mine drives an i40 tourer for work. He had clutch replaced on his after 2 years and said that 7 out of the 15 cars they have had to get them replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Livefornow wrote: »
    Pal of mine drives an i40 tourer for work. He had clutch replaced on his after 2 years and said that 7 out of the 15 cars they have had to get them replaced.

Once replaced, does he have any idea how long the new clutch lasts for?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is no set time frame on how long a clutch can last. Its a wear and tear component so how long it lasts depends on how good or bad the driver is. You could burn a clutch out very quickly if you really tried hard enough. The exception is where a component of the clutch prematurely fails due to a defective part rather than natural wear which seems to be the case with the likes of the i40.

176k miles on my Octavia and it's the original clutch,gearbox actually everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 wilecoyote

Loire wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking at buying either an Avensis or an i40. I much prefer the i40 but Googling has brought me to lots of hits with Hyundai / Kia clutch problems and it's scaring me off and putting me closer to buying the Avensis. Both cars will be circa 2012 manual and diesel. Am I over concerned?

Thanks

Hi. Don't know if I'm too late to advise you but I bought a 12 i40 and have had nothing but trouble with it, partially warranty and partially outside it. All in all Hyundai screwed me about so long with clutch issues that I ended up replacing it myself on 120,000km. Cost was €1000 and 20,000 km on its grinding again. I couldn't recommend them at all. Sister in law has a 14 one and again plenty of issues and clutch starting to go at 90,000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Clutches for Hyundai's are one of the best selling clutches at the moment, ask any motor factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Loire wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks
    The avensis is a finer car even excluding clutch issues on the i40

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

Don't think gearboxes are troublesome on either the i30 or i40.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Don't think gearboxes are troublesome on either the i30 or i40.

They give problems on the i40. Not sure about the i30.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

We have seen a lot of issues on the I40 gearboxes haven't seen any on the I30s yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Digging this thread back up,
    Does anyone know how much a clutch would cost for a 2014 i40? And roughly labour?

Is a UK car covered under warranty in the ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wilecoyote

garv123 wrote: »
    Digging this thread back up,
    Does anyone know how much a clutch would cost for a 2014 i40? And roughly labour?

Is a UK car covered under warranty in the ROI?

Hi there. We had a 12 1.7 diesel i40 and under warranty Hyundai did "patch up" stuff on the clutch by doing fluid replacement and master cylinder or slave cylinder, not sure which. Anyway once out of warranty the clutch got impossible and car only had 140,000 km. I priced it both Hyundai and private. Private cost me €1000 and Hyundai wanted €250 more. I know a comment already said €350 but I can't see how it's that cheap, I priced in four garages. Clutch itself is around €750/€800. Sold the car within a month at a loss for a Mazda 6 and wouldn't touch a Hyundai again. I hope you can get rid before it gets too bad. The magic number on them seems to be 125,000 to 145,000. Regarding warranty from UK, it's still a Hyundai and has to be covered for five years from its date of registration. I really hope this helps and insist on a clutch nothing else. I was too nice to fight them till it was too late. Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭choicer

I'm terrified reading this thread now. Yesterday my wife was driving and as she turned in to our driveway she couldn't get the car in gear. Switched the car off, key out, for a few seconds and then it worked.

She drove them for 30km and same thing happened again.

The dealer we bought the car from was just down the road so she dropped it down there, they took it for a spin & no issues. They think it may be clutch or gearbox. I've seen on other forums about a known issue with the resolution being to replace the clutch master cylinder.

Its a 2015 iX35 with 120km on the clock.

We bought the car March 2017 so the 2-year garage warranty exists but apparently only the gearbox is covered and not the clutch. If it is the clutch, how much am I looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Limerick_dude

We have an i40 tourer the clutch went and was covered under the warranty thankfully. We also had an issue with the steering which turned out to be a rubber in the column that had shredded and was causing the friction you could feel - only cost €1.60 for the rubber but labour to identify the issue was another thing altogether. In saying that the car is reliable and a nice drive. Our second car is an avensis (07) and it's bullet proof never had an issues with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

How come the avensis is so cheap secondhand?

BENDYBINN wrote: »

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

BENDYBINN wrote: »

An 07 will still be on the cc tax.
    Still value there if you get a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tassietara

I have an I40 saloon 2014 and at 30,000 it went in under warranty and had a new clutch fitted. Been fine up till now and now at 119000 miles and cannot get it into gear at all. No loss of fluid or whatever but going into independent garage next Wednesday for appraisal, thinking clutch master cylinder ???

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 624 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Dont drag up old threads. Please create a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement