Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Looking to Purchase EA, PUBG Corp. and Valve? (Rumour)

Options
  • 30-01-2018 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭

IGN Article

VG24/7 Article

GameInformer Article

Currently a rumour.

I'm not well up on Valve and PUBG, make of that what you will, the EA acquisition part stood out for me.

Personally, I'm not sure how I'd feel about this if it turns out to be true. Like, what would this mean? Would it mean EA games going forward would be exclusive to Xbox? Would this be a fix for Xbox's small number of exclusives?

Xbox is after making some bold decisions lately, with the recent news of future Microsoft-published games being available on Game Pass on Day 1. Now this rumour?

I'm curious to see how this envelopes as the year goes on - should it.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

IGN Article

VG24/7 Article

GameInformer Article

Currently a rumour.

I'm not well up on Valve and PUBG, make of that what you will, the EA acquisition part stood out for me.

Personally, I'm not sure how I'd feel about this if it turns out to be true. Like, what would this mean? Would it mean EA games going forward would be exclusive to Xbox? Would this be a fix for Xbox's small number of exclusives?

Xbox is after making some bold decisions lately, with the recent news of future Microsoft-published games being available on Game Pass on Day 1. Now this rumour?

I'm curious to see how this envelopes as the year goes on - should it.

It's a possibility. The Xbox is one of Microsofts few consumer successes, and they have to know that something drastic has to change if they want the outcome of the next generation to change from PS dominated.

From what I can gather, games like FIFA, NFL, etc, would still have to come out on all consoles, at least if Microsoft would like to keep those licenses. It's possible, at least looking at the Minecraft model.

All other games would be up for grabs though, Battlefield, Titanfall, etc. It would be an amazing coup, but super expensive.

Not sure how realistic it would be, to be honest. All this speculation is currently all based off one line in an article as well, I'll look forward to what they say in their follow up article, hopefully more information from their source.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

:D You mention 3 webpages which all use the same source and link to polygon

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Buttros

Interesting. They have about 130 billion on the balance sheet in cash and equivalents so could buy ea without raising any debt. Could be looking for use out that money beyond share buybacks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I can't see any of those happening to be honest. Seems like conjecture at this point, would love to know what their source is...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Buttros

Fifa and Disney that license stuff to ea would not be pleased. More likely one of many acquisitions msft have been looking at... 99% of which are never acted on

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Buttros wrote: »
    Fifa and Disney that license stuff to ea would not be pleased. More likely one of many acquisitions msft have been looking at... 99% of which are never acted on

Even if it went ahead I doubt thy'd be looking to make that sort of thing exclusive anyway. The licenses would be taken elsewhere for sure if they tried.

Buying EA makes perfect sense. Instantly catching up with Sony with regards to the amount of studios under their belt. The two companies already have a very good relationship.

They no doubt would keep EA sports multi-platform, or even sell that part off or even buy a subset of studios from EA. Disney games would surely have to find new studios in order to stay multi-platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

If it were to happen, I don't think MS would make any games exclusive. They don't seem interested in exclusivity.
    They bought Minecraft and put it out everywhere they could...and made a packet off it.

They would just reap the benefits of the sales and what's in the EA Access vaults would be moved into Gamepass.

...that's how I see it anyway.

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    If it were to happen, I don't think MS would make any games exclusive. They don't seem interested in exclusivity.
    They bought Minecraft and put it out everywhere they could...and made a packet off it.

They would just reap the benefits of the sales and what's in the EA Access vaults would be moved into Gamepass.

...that's how I see it anyway.

I think that is the key. It has to been seen in the context of Xbox game pass and not by comparing to PlayStation exclusives. Buying EA would mean immediately EA games in xbox game pass and a massive increase in the amount of Day one "original content" releases. Eventually, you'd have to think they would become exclusive to the Xbox service. It would make no sense in the long run to continue releasing these games on rival services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

brav wrote: »
    :D You mention 3 webpages which all use the same source and link to polygon

You're f**ing jokin haha I had no idea

• Advertisement

Why would they buy Valve? So they could move everyone over to windows store and close steam or the other way around? Not like Valve actually make many games these days.

EA are the same, not many horses in the stable outside of the yearly ones.

Advertisement