Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad Pain

Options
  • 30-01-2018 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

I've recently switched form flat to SPD pedals and since doing so I'm experiencing serious quad pain/tightness when out cycling. It happens after about 2km. I'm fairly sure it's not an injury as there is no issue when running.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and what you did to resolve it.

I'm thinking I may need to higher saddle but could cleat placement be having an affect too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Get a bike fit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Could be cleats, saddle etc. Get a bike fit.

<Mod Note> Fitting advice is okay. Medical advise is not. If any is given, this is locked again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If you change from Flat pedals (with normal shoes) to SPD's with Cycling Shoes and cleats, your saddle height could be wrong. Your saddle could be too high as normal shoes have thick soles, whereas cycling shoes don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVu5Zrktm40

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Also consider the position of your foot over the pedal axle (achieved by cleat position). Most fitters now recommend the ball of your foot is a little bit ahead of the pedal axle at the 3 o'clock position. (read more here - warning! this gets incredible nerdy incredibly quickly)

If you've changed from a pain free flat pedal scenario, try and replicate that with your new set up. So look at where your foot was relative to the pedal axle when using flats.

But yeah. Get a bike fit.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Forget the quad bike and move to a real one. Legs will adjust as efforts get longer/harder

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Felexicon wrote: »
    I've recently switched form flat to SPD pedals and since doing so I'm experiencing serious quad pain/tightness when out cycling. It happens after about 2km. I'm fairly sure it's not an injury as there is no issue when running.
    Any increase in mileage? Are pedals the only change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Any increase in mileage? Are pedals the only change?

Yeah the pedals/shoes are the only change. If anything mileage has decreased because of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Push harder and let the pain guide you...

Advertisement