Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Prices - Irish Rail

Options
  • 30-01-2018 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭

Just checking my reading of this is right? I am a (mature) Student with a valid ID from one of the listed colleges. I don't need anything extra to pay the student rate on the train do I?

I had thought I needed some sort of travelcard or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I just use my student card from my college. If you're buying a ticket in the station on a machine it asks for your ID number. If there's a ticket inspector on the train, they usually just glance at your card to make sure you are a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Thanks, I'm just about to buy online. I'll have the card with me anyway and it's valid so hopefully be ok, student price makes it worthwhile taking the train, full price it's cheaper to drive

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Thanks, I'm just about to buy online. I'll have the card with me anyway and it's valid so hopefully be ok, student price makes it worthwhile taking the train, full price it's cheaper to drive

Once your card meets the criteria listed here you should be golden

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/students

G_R wrote: »
    Once your card meets the criteria listed here you should be golden

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/students

Yep, it's on the list. Am I dreaming when I say there used to be a need to get an id from IR?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Yep, it's on the list. Am I dreaming when I say there used to be a need to get an id from IR?

You used to need to use the Student Travelcard instead of the college issued ID, but I'm not sure if that is it was issued by Irish rail. It's now pretty much been merged with leap card anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

G_R wrote: »
    You used to need to use the Student Travelcard instead of the college issued ID, but I'm not sure if that is it was issued by Irish rail. It's now pretty much been merged with leap card anyway

They used to say a college ID was not enough - and that was absolutely absurd thankfully they've copped on.

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    They used to say a college ID was not enough - and that was absolutely absurd thankfully they've copped on.

I was kinda hoping I wasn't going mad. I also remember you had to pay extra to usit to get a Dublin Bus stamp on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yep I remember that! Absolute numpties whoever came up with it.

I think it was because some colleges didn't put expiry dates on the student ID cards, so naturally inspectors couldn't determine if that person had graduated yet or not. I know my ID didn't have an expiry date.

Not sure if all college IDs nationally now have expiry dates or not or if there are still exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The STC also allowed 16yos in 2nd level to get student rates without an ID card that no school provides (or very very few).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

I think it was because some colleges didn't put expiry dates on the student ID cards, so naturally inspectors couldn't determine if that person had graduated yet or not. I know my ID didn't have an expiry date.

Not sure if all college IDs nationally now have expiry dates or not or if there are still exceptions.

That wasn't the reason - but it did become their excuse. UCD my college gave them that excuse when they tried a common sense idea of saving resources by having the same card for your whole 3-5 years instead of a new one each year, they didn't put an expiry because say you might have to resit a year or take medical leave etc
    This handed them a lovely excuse, but they'd started this bs before that and the key way you knew they were talking crap with that as an excuse was they didn't take college ID's that DID have expiries.

Common sense could tell you with even UCD though, the card did have an ISSUE date, so if the card is issued in 2010 and you are sitting there saying you're a student in 2018 its clearly suspect and you might want more to prove you're a student. So if you are a Van Wilder like me who is doing college in two chunks you'd just keep a registration letter with you - they can be auto-printed from your student account online with a verification code you can independently check on the site as an outsider. So those of us who had an issue date a long time away started carrying those, and it wasn't enough.

They were absolutely irrational about this

Advertisement