Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you felt ill playing and were they the first VR you played?

Options
  • 30-01-2018 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭

I think it's fair to say that you need to get your VR legs after buying a VR headset first. I made the mistake of playing Rigs first and the amount of vertical + lateral movement at the same time just made me ill for a good few hours after I took it off.

You really do need to start the voyage in bite sized chunks and preferably with a game with a static viewpoint (Start Trek Bridge Crew etc).

After a few sessions, I got used to it and while I still get an odd queasy feeling when I'm barrel rolling in Eve Valkrie, I can play in VR for a lot longer now (did a 4 hour session to finish off Resident Evil 7).

So what games did you feel ill after playing and were they the first toes dipped in VR?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

I was sick at the time so it didn’t help but Echo Arena was the one game that affected me when playing. The whole grabbing objects to propel you around the room while looking everywhere for the disc really made me feel dizzy. I haven’t got back to it but I’ll probably give it a few games later or tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Pro tip. Ginger is good for motion sickness. Munch on gingernuts while you play. You do need to ease into it TBH. Your brain needs to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Rigs gave me a bit of a headache, but the first time I've properly experienced it was in Scavenger's Odyssey which came as part of PlayStation VR Worlds, the mean in which you traverse through that particular uneven landscape was a bit of a swirling mind-bender.

I've played loads of other VR games since but never had any bad side-effects since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Ive played about 20/30 different VR games and never experienced any sort of motion sickness, but after I played Farpoint for the first time I had freaky dreams that my apartment was covered in spiders. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Mission ISS made me feel a little bit odd at first, not a sick feeling but my legs went a little wobbly a couple of times moving around the station!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Thankfully no ill effects here. Don't own a headset yet, but have played in dribs and drabs so maybe over an extended session I might feel it a bit more.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Farpoint and Rigs both made me a little wobbly. Here They Lie probably was the worst though because the control direction was dictated by where you were looking as well as controlled via controller... was all a bit off.

Don't get any of that now though, so the VR legs are well and truly muscular.

My pro tip is to have a fan blowing on you while playing (unless the room is cold, as it was during the winter). It also adds to the immersion especially in games like Windlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Alien Isolation.

Great fun, but one part i got sucked out into space. Had to grab chair in room as I lost all sense of up and down and nearly spewed

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Fearganainm

Adrift. Can't even get outside the air lock without wanting to hurl...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't get much VR sickness but..

Has everyone played Bar Brawl? It's ridiculously fun and does what it says on the pack. Normally you beat everyone and you sorta win that bar, but there was a bug that stopped me from winning in this one bar and I was brawling people over and over get more tired, anyway I must have bumped into a light house cable and tilted the unit, which tilted the game environment but I didn't notice I was so busy brawling the entire bar

Suddenly felt nasueous and disoriented, I kept going for a bit and then thought I was having a f****in stroke it got so bad :o

• Advertisement

Drunk'n Bar Fight you mean?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Drunk'n Bar Fight you mean?

Whats it to you if I do? *picks up pool cue*

*Throws dart which lodges in Bambi's eyeball*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I played the demo for Raw Data but after about 10 minutes of constantly looking around me I felt horrible and had to lie down for over an hour to get back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

*Covers pint and slowly moves to the snug...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

War Thunder after way to much booze, didn't end well when I got shot down and started a barrel roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Not since the DK2 and playing ESO

I think DCS world gave me a really bad dose of VR sickness when I first tried it from flying past buildings at low altitude but very little with the Vive has made me sick, I got sick a lot with the DK1

Actually I've forgotten how much fun Drunk'n bar fight is, it really brings out the worst in you

I remember trying to punch a guy who was on the deck but I couldn't reach him due to the room boundaries so I tried to stamp on his face

I imagine there's people who've full force punched the floor because of that game

Bambi wrote: »
    I think DCS world gave me a really bad dose of VR sickness when I first tried it from flying past buildings at low altitude but very little with the Vive has made me sick, I got sick a lot with the DK1

Actually I've forgotten how much fun Drunk'n bar fight is, it really brings out the worst in you

I remember trying to punch a guy who was on the deck but I couldn't reach him due to the room boundaries so I tried to stamp on his face

I imagine there's people who've full force punched the floor because of that game

Indeed, when it comes to PSVR, which has no in-software boundary wall I'm guaranteeing we'll see plenty of smashed TV postings on reddit in coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Nailz wrote: »
    Scavenger's Odyssey which came as part of PlayStation VR Worlds, the mean in which you traverse through that particular uneven landscape was a bit of a swirling mind-bender.

This tried it day 2 of owning. After a session on luge both on VR worlds.
    Did not feel right for half the day!

Since the. I have being ok.
    Hate games that need you to look around to control your movement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

coolisin wrote: »
    This tried it day 2 of owning. After a session on luge both on VR worlds.
    Did not feel right for half the day!

Since the. I have being ok.

Bingo!

I didn't like the VR FPS's Pavlov or Bullets and More (BAM) and was afraid to buy the Milsim Onward despite hearing great things about it. The Oculus Free Onward Weekend gave me a chance to try it out and I absolutely loved it and loved the locomotion mechanic. Your non dominant hand and thumbstick controls the direction of movement and thus HMD is decoupled from Movement direction. So for example I could face my left hand across the street to run straight across the road while looking 90º right down the street with my head and spraying and praying with my right hand to keep enemies heads down while I sprint across. Zero VR sickness whatsoever.

My VR sickness history starting in 2016 was getting over Barrell rolls in Space and Flight sims in one or two play sessions, got over sickness when taking bends in driving sims after about 4 or 5 play sessions but to this day, smooth turning and HMD Look based movement still made me ill after a few minutes. Onward was a revelation and I now understand why I always used to read posts from guys wishing that other games would adopt the Onward Locomotion mechanics.

Skyrim on PSVR makes an unusual case for going in direction you are looking and it works.

When walking you go in the direction where your controller is pointing, but when sprinting it goes in direction you are looking. This makes sense since when sprinting you want to be able to see where you are going and makes it easier to chase after enemies as you just need to look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Luge that comes with VR Worlds on the PS4. About 1min into it and my head was spinning.

Also DriveClub VR didn't do me much good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I never seem to get motion sickness, even with adrift.
    A friend of mine was only about 5 seconds into dirt rally’s and had to take the headset off he got it so bad.

coolisin wrote: »

Yeah that felt like a Kinect level of gimmickyness in VR Luge.
    Would almost turn you off VR completely.

Advertisement