Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillwalking Day - Ireland

Options
  • 30-01-2018 9:23am

From the Hillwalking Day- Ireland FB Page

Your thoughts please ?

It's a solo run by myself, at the moment.

The Day - 1st January 2019

Why this page is about YOU - The Hillwalker.

The purpose of this page is to introduce the idea of a Hillwalking Day. If there is interest and enthusiasm for such a day, from all those involved in the activity, then we can work away on it.

The page is deliberately not aligned with any organisation, group, or club within our community. It’s a solo run.

I won’t be organising events or walks on the designated day. There won’t be a mass gathering in the centre of the Country to have a celebratory walk and a knees up after it.

If a Club, Guide or Individual wants to organise a walk on the specified day then we can promote it here but it will be up to those organising it to drive it forward and make a success of it.

If you’re a Club, Guide or Individual that goes out on the hill on a regular basis, you might consider the following:

- Do something that you wouldn’t normally do eg. a night or sunrise walk
    - Go somewhere that you don’t normally go to eg. a stand alone mountain that otherwise doesn’t interest you
    - Set yourself a target for the year and start on that day
    - Bring a friend with you that keeps saying ‘I must go out with you sometime…’
    - Show someone how to correctly use a map and compass (or ViewRanger)
    - Walk with a FB 'Friend' (or two) that you've never met

Get your thinking cap on. The more novel you can make it, the better.

You have a wealth of knowledge; from footwear to clothing to equipment: from navigation to safety: from fitness to nutrition, etc. so share it with those around you that are already hillwalking and those that aspire to be hillwalkers under your tutelage.

What else would you be doing on the 1st of January…...?

Advertisement