Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLC

Options
  • 30-01-2018 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there,

Currently completing my last year (Leaving Cert Applied), Now I have a few questions with plc.
    With PLC's do you need to have some sort of a foundation as in, I should have some sort of past experience?
    If I pick lets say a Gaming and Design PLC course and half way through I decide I would not want to do this course in college but I finish the PLC and I get my points do I have to stay in the IT type of course or could I use the cao points for something else in a IT college?
    Not sure if this makes sense, Hopefully you understand.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They will interview you for the PLC course, so you will need to show them you have an interest at least.

As regards moving on from it, that depends on the course you want in college, some are linked with a particular PLC course, some are not.

If you are not sold on the idea of Game Design, maybe you would be better doing a more generally based PLC course aiming for a range of IT courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Porxywa

Thanks

That sounds good, so courses that don’t have further links to another course what do you do then? I see one course links onto two courses but they don’t really suit me if you get me.
    Also do I need some sort of a past experience? I have interest in IT and have some experience but I’d like to further my knowledge in coding for example but I don’t have much experience with coding/development.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The thing is, without some experience in coding, you might find it very tedious. It seems to be one of those hate it or love it things. Could you find your local CoderDojo and maybe visit them to see is it something you'd like?

For PLC Courses that don't have further direct links, you can leave and get a job or look for a further course that just needs you to have completed a first PLC in anything.

What part of the country are you in?

Just as an example, the Computer Studies with Coding course in Moate Community College, gives possible further access (depending on your marks of course) to a range of further courses including:
    Moate Business College
    6M4985: Advanced Certificate in Business Computing with Programming (Level 6)

Athlone Institute of Technology
    AL657: Higher Certificate in Computing for Business (Level 6)
    AL655: Higher Certificate in Business in Social Media Marketing (Level 6)
    AL650: Higher Certificate in Business (Level 6)
    AL653: Higher Certificate in Office Management (Level 6)
    AL801 Software Design (Game Development or Cloud Computing)

Carlow Institute of Technology
    CW206 Computing (Options: Applications/Commercial Programming/Networking)
    CW207: Software Development (Level 7)
    CW217 Computer Systems Management (Level 7)
    CW527 Electronic Engineering (Level 7)

GMIT
    GA775 Computing in Software Development(Level 7)
    GA183 Business Information Systems (Level 7)
    GA570 Computer and Electronic Engineering (Level 7)
    GA776: Business Computing and Digital Media (Level 7)
    GA869 Higher Certificate in Business In Computer Applications (Level 6)
    GA681 Energy Engineering (Level 8)

NUI Galway
    GY206 Business Information Systems (Level 8 – must have a inimum of 5 Distinctions)

Maynooth University
    MH101 Arts Level (Level 8 – must have a minimum of 5 Distinctions)

Advertisement