Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on online reviews please!!

Options
  • 29-01-2018 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey all

Am planning a honeymoon this year but can't tell what reviews to believe!! Does anyone have any advice on Trip Advisor or Booking.com?!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ameego1

Hey all :)

Am planning a honeymoon and can't tell what reviews to believe online! Anyone any tips/thoughts on Trip Advisor or booking.com!?

Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I use Tripadvisor, Booking and Hotels.com when selecting a property.

I look at reviews from the most recent season. If the majority are good, then I take that as a good sign. Then I look carefully at the 'bad' reviews. THey might be legitimate in the eyes of the reviewer eg low score because kids running round screaming. If its hygiene or service, I look for consistency among the 'bad' reviewers. After that, its down to judgement.

Bear in mind, its possible for some rooms to be better than others due to recent refurbishment. I've stayed in a place with awful reviews from three people in a row, but discounted them for being in a tiny minority. Turns out they had all gotten the unrefurbished rooms. Fortunately, and by sheer luck, I was placed in a good room. So, it can still be the luck of the draw.

Finally, where possible, I book directly with a hotel. I feel they allocate the poorer rooms to the online sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

For booking.com you have to have booked and stayed there through their site to be able to leave a review, as far as I know, anyone can post a review on Tripadvisor.
    I use booking.com quite a bit and find the reviews fairly true to my experience. In case of poor ratings, it is obvious when it is due to a specific issue rather than ongoing issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Many reviewers allow you to email them and ask specific questions.

Advertisement