Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie App

Options
  • 29-01-2018 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Anyone know if they are going to make a mobile app for boards.ie I’m surprised they don’t have one already!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyone know if they are going to make a mobile app for boards.ie I’m surprised they don’t have one already!

2 of them on play store?

Never used them and they seem fairly low rated...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭CookieLover

Fieldog wrote: »
    2 of them on play store?

Never used them and they seem fairly low rated...

I typed boards.ie into the App Store and no results were returned. Maybe they just have it on android

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Boards have an app, not used it myself but a friend had tried to use it in the past, said it was truly terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭CookieLover

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Boards have an app, not used it myself but a friend had tried to use it in the past, said it was truly terrible.

Was your friend using iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Was your friend using iPhone?

That I couldn't answer.

Why, is the app for iPhone better than android

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There was one for iPhone. It was absolutely shíte and appeared as If it had been developed by an 102 year old recluse who had lost the use of his hands and was blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

I use it exclusively. Never use desktop version cos I'm never at a desktop. It's...ok... but there is a lot of stuff that could be better on it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I never understand people's need for apps when websites have a mobile version.

Boards one works grand, just use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

o1s1n wrote: »
    I never understand people's need for apps when websites have a mobile version.

Boards one works grand, just use that.

Website is very slow and unresponsive on mobile in my opinion. The launch of boards.ie/b (?) happened recently I think which has a really lovely interface but it's very unresponsive on 2 top-end android devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Miike wrote: »
    Website is very slow and unresponsive on mobile in my opinion. The launch of boards.ie/b (?) happened recently I think which has a really lovely interface but it's very unresponsive on 2 top-end android devices.

Not sure what youre using, but I've been on https://touch.boards.ie/ for years with my mobile and it works perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There is no official Boards app, anything that's available on the Play Store/iTunes is a third party app. However as o1s1n linked to above, the Touch site works very well and at least in part does away with the need for an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Zaph wrote: »
    There is no official Boards app, anything that's available on the Play Store/iTunes is a third party app. However as o1s1n linked to above, the Touch site works very well and at least in part does away with the need for an app.

I love the touch site on my phone, it's the best way to view boards IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Zaph wrote: »

The beta one never exited beta so, I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Zaph wrote:

Never noticed that until I just went in to the app store to check. Always just assumed it was official cos of the logo etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Fieldog wrote: »
    I love the touch site on my phone, it's the best way to view boards IMO

Well, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Apps are pretty old school anyways. Nothing worse than some site badgering you or forcing you to use their app. Looking at you Tripadvisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

M.boards.ie forever clean fast puts the touch site to shame

sioda wrote: »
    M.boards.ie forever clean fast puts the touch site to shame

I agree that apps are pretty pointless nowadays and as a Dev, I'm glad that progressive web apps are being more popular. The majority of users install a grand total of zero apps each month.

I've recently gone from boards.ie to touch.boards.ie and mostly think it's fine. There are a couple of things I can't find as easily and things like imagrs, bold, YouTube tags have to be added manually, but they're not that important anyway.

I'd love to decouple boards.ie and have it run based on a modern js engine. They went the wrong direction trying to reskin it recently. It's the technology that needs to changed, not the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Absolutely love m.boards.ie. The cleanest crispest way to use boards for me. In fact, it's very rare I access it any other way.

There was talk of it no longer being supported but hopefully it outlives us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the touch site is flawed and exceptionally slow IMO
    half the time the next page icons don't load at the bottom of pages requires lots of scrolling back, this makes it really unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I just request the desktop site on my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I use the app all the time. I am clearly the only one however.

There are two of them, one hard to use the other perfect. Imo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD OP, there is an app on the android store. After Hours is not really the best place for this subject so I would suggest the site development forum and I will close this up: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=228

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement