Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English accents annoy me

Options
  • 29-01-2018 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else not able to watch GOT. I watched the first episode of the first season and it was a chore but I fought through it after hearing so many rave about it and then a few minutes of the second episode until I could take no more of the english accents. Pure torture.

Anyone else the same?

PS. I don't watch Tv so don't watch other english crap either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Yeah. Probably not for you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

It's basically set in Medieval Britain so you expect English accents

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

They don't annoy me but I don't get why they don't just use their own. You've got a Geordie with a Lancashire or Yorkshire accent (Bronn) and an Irishman with a Geordie accent (Davos) for example.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's fine for GoT since it's sort of consistent in universe, now the modern Star Wars movies have been hard for me to listen to with the sudden plethora of english accents

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its just that the Westerosian accent is a bugger to get right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just a heads up to everyone who thinks I'm crazy and started a thread titled above, I didn't, a mod must have created this thread. I was replying to some thread a couple of moths ago so I forget which one and just said I could not watch this show as the english accents annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It's fine for GoT since it's sort of consistent in universe, now the modern Star Wars movies have been hard for me to listen to with the sudden plethora of english accents

Star Wars had a huge amount of English actors involved (Not surprising since it was made there). Peter Cushing and Alec Guinness obviously, but most of the background characters. Remember that guy who got chocked out for dissing Darth Vader?. As the 2nd and 3rd films narrowed focus to the core group of characters this became less of an issue and, of course, the prequels then did the whole: "Let's get 'em from everywhere but give 'em vaguely British accents" thing.

But it's always the same. Anything "period" is given British accents. Supposed to give them gravitas. Look at anything set in "Roman Times". All sound like they were from RADA.
    I remember some comedian commenting on this. Said something like "They were all Italian! How would it have gone down if Richard Harris and Joacin Phoenix in Gladiator sounded like Mario! :)

But OP, yeah, if TV is not your thing then.... yeah, Thrones is not for you.

(I do find it funny how they seem to be writing Liam Cunningham's character, Davos, around Liam Cunningham now:
    Well, you WERE dead and now you're alive.... and that's just MAD!!
    )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who don't like a programme yet go out of their way to track down fans of that programme and tell them why.

If you dont like it great. I dont like broccoli. I dont go tracking down every green grocer I see to let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How is this thread still open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

flazio wrote: »
    How is this thread still open?

Because Mr Incognito had an important message for us about broccoli!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

"English" accents covers a pretty broad spectrum, tbh. They change by the street in some places. But, if they really do annoy you and you aren't just trolling then yeah... the show isn't for you. Or any other show featuring English people. And that's quite a lot.

Advertisement