Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord requesting new lease, still a year left on Part 4 lease

Options
  • 29-01-2018 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

We moved into accommodation three years ago where we signed a 12 month contract. On the 11th month, we notified the landlord that we wished to stay on.

Fast forward to now, and the landlord has requested a raise in the rent and that we sign a new lease.

The raise in rent aside, I was wondering, do we have to sign a new lease with it?

My understanding is that once we stayed on past the forst 12 months, we entered a Part 4 lease. As such, we are under no obligation to sign a new lease. I could be wrong though, would anyone be able to confirm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

McHardcore wrote: »
    We moved into accommodation three years ago where we signed a 12 month contract. On the 11th month, we notified the landlord that we wished to stay on.

Fast forward to now, and the landlord has requested a raise in the rent and that we sign a new lease.

The raise in rent aside, I was wondering, do we have to sign a new lease with it?

My understanding is that once we stayed on past the forst 12 months, we entered a Part 4 lease. As such, we are under no obligation to sign a new lease. I could be wrong though, would anyone be able to confirm?
    If the lease is a fixed term lease that takes you over the four years from the start of the tenancy and you would like to stay, I would suggest you to sign it (unless the conditions in the lease are difficult to accept). In this way you will get another 6 years of part 4 rights from now (no Part 4 termination notice can be received during a fixed term).

Advertisement