Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time management tracking sheet

Options
  • 29-01-2018 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I'm supervising a new staff member and in discussions with them time management is an issue with things taking a lot of time and as a consequence tasks not getting done. I understand that as someone new things will take longer, but the workload they carrying is very light and these tasks should be getting done.

Does anyone have a link to a template(or templates) of a time management tracker where they can record what tasks they are doing and how long they are taking. Tasks would be a mixture between things like email/phone calls throughout the day and then longer tasks such as appointments for an hour etc. If we can identify what is taking so long and where they are spending their time, we can start to work out why and put strategies in place to support and speed up things to improve performance. Discussing it today the employee is saying that they want everything to be 'perfect' and this is why it is taking so long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Have you considered time management software like toggl?
    It's designed for freelancers to track billable hours - as I recall you install a plug in into chrome or log into the app. Then input a task like 'answering emails', press go and it registers time against that task until u stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Diceicle wrote: »
    Have you considered time management software like toggl?
    It's designed for freelancers to track billable hours - as I recall you install a plug in into chrome or log into the app. Then input a task like 'answering emails', press go and it registers time against that task until u stop it.

Thanks, the basic free version of that looks ideal

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Does everyone else record their time, do you have the authority to require them to record their time? If not then I'd be very careful about doing it...

At the end of the day, you are supervising them, surely you know what they are spending their time at???

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Does everyone else record their time, do you have the authority to require them to record their time? If not then I'd be very careful about doing it...

At the end of the day, you are supervising them, surely you know what they are spending their time at???

No, we don't have to record our time (as in how long it takes to complete things). However the employee has said that they think their time management is poor and they are slow. So in order to help them improve and understand where they are spending their time, it stands that keeping track of how long things are taking is the first step. Otherwise how are they to know what is taking up the time and where they can improve? For example, one task should only take 5-10min...I don't know if that's how long they are taking, or if they are taking 30min +

Yes, I am supervising them in a professional capacity to develop their skills. and I know the tasks they are doing - what I don't know is how long they are taking as I'm not standing over them all day. We work in a profession that has a lot of autonomy and schedule our own diaries and working day.
    If we both know what things are taking a long time then we can put in strategies to support the work. For example if report writing is taking an excessive amount of time, we can develop some templates to help it be faster.
    If you have any other suggestions on how to improve time management (as the employee themselves has said that this is an issue, along with wanting everything to be 'perfect') without first tracking how long tasks are taking then I'm interested in hearing them. This is the first time that someone I have supervised has had difficulties with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

mel.b wrote: »
    If you have any other suggestions on how to improve time management (as the employee themselves has said that this is an issue, along with wanting everything to be 'perfect') without first tracking how long tasks are taking then I'm interested in hearing them. This is the first time that someone I have supervised has had difficulties with this.

There's a big difference between training someone and having to nanny them. If the task been given is fairly rudimentary and the new start cant get their head around it or complete it in a reasonable timeframe I don't see them being a future asset to your company. Cut them loose and use the time training someone with potential.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that we will actually get a replacement (and to be honest, more unlikely than likely), so it's a matter of trying to have to put everything into them now and hope that they can make the improvements over the next few months. It is not an easy job for a new graduate, however they are needing more support than other new graduates we have had. It may just be that they take longer to develop, what I need to do is look at how I can support and encourage that development.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Forget a timetracker. Spend a day with them and observe how they work and then coach them to be better from your experience and knowledge of the tasks. You'll get better buy in and it is trust building. Approach it from an "I want to help you" stance. Seriously it'll be the best and fastest way to sort this out in the long run.

Advertisement