Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on type pf living room furniture

Options
  • 29-01-2018 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

hey everyone,

So i'm sooo undecided on how to bring our living room together.

We painted the chimney breast choc brown and the fire place cream which I like the look of.

We have and a brown and flecked cream carpet and duck egg/ brown/ cream /gold striped curtains. The couches are yellowy cream colour but we may be changing them to cream and getting an L shaped couch.

The bookcase came with the place so we probably move that out and the sideboard is going in the kitchen and will be getting a different one for the space. The TV stand is a warm oak and the nest of tables are beech.

i can't decide on whether to get an oak and cream painted coffee table like this One http://www.greatfurnituretradingco.co.uk/somerset-oak-and-cream-coffee-table .I saw it in a shop in dublin but they don't have it online to link it to.

Or else a light oak one see image attached.

I like the matching sideboard to the light oak coffee table but was unsure if I got both it'd be too matched. Our living room is north facing so a cold room so would want furniture to warm it up. Would get a rug aswell for under the coffee table.

Was thinking of putting floating cream shelves above the sideboard and then a nice picture above the couch at the back of the room.

I've attached photos of my living room and the oak furniture.

What do people think?? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

Or I could keep the current sideboard and get the matching open shelf coffee table and paint the legs cream?

Thought the current sideboard is a little dark for the room though?

Anyone? ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The current sideboard looks grand, I probably wouldn’t go off and buy another. You could give the whole thing a lick of paint if you wanted to give it a new lease of life.

jlm29 wrote: »
    The current sideboard looks grand, I probably wouldn’t go off and buy another. You could give the whole thing a lick of paint if you wanted to give it a new lease of life.

Thanks,

It was actually only bought a couple months ago for the kitchen but we just put it there for the mean time to fill the gap lol

So if we leave it there we would need one or something else for the kitchen

We havent really had to buy much for the house as we got a good few bits with the place as a deal and painted a lot of it.

Ah right, sorry! I assumed you were shipping it out because you didn’t like it! I haven’t anything valuable to ad otherwise!

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    Ah right, sorry! I assumed you were shipping it out because you didn’t like it! I haven’t anything valuable to ad otherwise!

No prob thanks anyway :)

Any one else??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

what about getting a carpenter in to put in two units, and fill the two walls with press and floating shelves or a tv unit etc, ive seen a few lovely ones on fb recently..

shakencat wrote: »
    what about getting a carpenter in to put in two units, and fill the two walls with press and floating shelves or a tv unit etc, ive seen a few lovely ones on fb recently..

Thanks do you any links to them to have a gander?

If you googled alcove units, there’s lots of pictures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Just a suggestion but I would try and match the walls to the fireplace as its such a feature. If you painted the walls a lightish gray I think it would go a long way towards pulling the room together.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Can't you use a sideboard to put your tv on, or is that too high ?
    Where your sideboard is situated now, it is lost behind/next to the couch and you can't properly use it, because you can't open the doors and drawers with ease.

Your tv stand does nothing for your room imo. It looks too small for the space next to fireplace and the angle is off.

I like your idea of putting shelves above whatever cabinets you'll be acquiring. They can be in the same tone wood as your dresser/tv unit or you can paint them.
    I would also be on the lookout for paintings/prints in frames for your walls. Sometimes you can find real treasures in 2nd hand outlets. :)

Ps. Don't hang paintings or artworks too high on the walls. Middle of painting eye height is the golden rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KFiddles

First of all, the mirror is hung way too high. I'd get a carpenter in to build cabinets and floating shelves on both sides of the fireplace. He should be able to get a decorative edge to add some character to the shelves and tie the look of the fireplace into it. The fp and the carpet complement eachother, but the wall color is too yellow as are the couches. I'd have all the wood furniture (and the skirting boards) painted.

You need a cohesive design to pull everything together.

Advertisement