Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glorious old games you're replaying

Options
  • 29-01-2018 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

As the title says, what glorious old games are you replaying?
    How did you get them to work?

Yesterday I got Freelancer working on windows 10 and it's still amazing.
    (download game from abandonware site, download no-cd crack to get around the error in windows 10 where a file type on the cd needed for launch is not supported by windows 10, replace exe with the no-cd version, patch and enjoy)

Worth the time, aged very gracefully.

CC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

You probably wouldn't consider it old by comparison but I recently bought Medal of Honor Allied Assault on GOG. I was wide eyed when that came out first! Couldn't believe what I was seeing, especially the D-Day landing.

I can't get it working too well though. Stuck in windowed mode at the default graphical settings. Any time I try to change them in game it just crashes and I have to reinstall.

Brings back great memories though. They really set up the missions well back then with historical footage and lengthy narrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've been playing Medal of Honor too, works fine on my pc I must say. i have it through origin. Want to play the first and second Call of Dutys again too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Was going to play Warcraft II again, but can't get it working. Keeps asking for the disc.

I remember playing that way back in 96 (I think) after playing Warcraft the year before. I still stand by my belief it was far far better than the Command And Conquer series.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You probably wouldn't consider it old by comparison but I recently bought Medal of Honor Allied Assault on GOG. I was wide eyed when that came out first! Couldn't believe what I was seeing, especially the D-Day landing.

this was the game that forced me to upgrade my 16mb Voodoo 3 card for a 32mb Nvidia TNT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Skerries wrote: »
    this was the game that forced me to upgrade my 16mb Voodoo 3 card for a 32mb Nvidia TNT

AGP or PCI? :D I only had a PCI slot on my motherboard at the time, so it had to make do. AGP slots and cards really made a difference back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

[snob] AGP of course![/snob]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I went on a bit of a retro space binge over the last year.

Starlancer (My absolute favorite of all time)
    Freelancer (It's good but I never got the hype surrounding it, meh)
    Outforce (weird 2D RTS in space)
    Far Gate (good but VERY slow paced, difficulty curve is extreme)
    Mission Humanity (RTS game across multiple planets in a solar system)
    Emperor Battle for Dune
    Tachyon the fringe (Steam)

Other non space retro games I've played recently

Freedom Fighters
    The Suffering & Ties that Bind (Cannot wait for Richard Rouse's new 2018 game 'Church in the Darkness')
    Starship Troopers (FPS, wouldn't reliably work for me on Win10 but fun nonetheless)
    Firewarrior (Warhammer FPS game)
    Evolva (Another favorite, had so much potential but fell short IMO :( )
    Republic the Revolution (Simulation, overthrow a post soviet dictator. Fun but hard. Buggy on Win10)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Medal of honour was a class game, the d day landing section was just so well done. I also remember playing multiplayer for what must have been on dial up. 'We need an engineer' was the call IIRC as you needed to blow the wall into the first bunker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Starlancer (My absolute favorite of all time)
    Freelancer (It's good but I never got the hype surrounding it, meh)
    Outforce (weird 2D RTS in space)
    Far Gate (good but VERY slow paced, difficulty curve is extreme)
    Mission Humanity (RTS game across multiple planets in a solar system)
    Emperor Battle for Dune
    Tachyon the fringe (Steam)

Other non space retro games I've played recently

Freedom Fighters
    The Suffering & Ties that Bind (Cannot wait for Richard Rouse's new 2018 game 'Church in the Darkness')
    Starship Troopers (FPS, wouldn't reliably work for me on Win10 but fun nonetheless)
    Firewarrior (Warhammer FPS game)
    Evolva (Another favorite, had so much potential but fell short IMO :( )
    Republic the Revolution (Simulation, overthrow a post soviet dictator. Fun but hard. Buggy on Win10)
    Where are the Freespace games? :confused:

Props on some of those other non-space games though, Evolva and Republic in particular are two forgotten (albeit flawed) gems imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

gizmo wrote: »
    Where are the Freespace games? :confused:

I was about to say just this. Can't be playing old school space games without Freespace 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Ploughed countless hours into Freespace 1 & 2 back in the day.

Must do a revisit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

[...]
    Emperor Battle for Dune

There's a game I haven't thought about since I bought it back in the prehistoric days of 2001; how does it hold up? I'm not sure I even have the discs anymore. IIRC it was the first build of the engine later used in C&C Generals and at the time was super excited to play a 3D Westwood RTS game. Can't recall being that impressed with the game, not being used to the 'Dune' style of gameplay (though as always, the FMV cut-scenes were cheesily brialliant :) )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Emperor Battle for Dune is still great but it shows its age obviously. I played the original Dune 2000 as well and even though Emperor is only 2 years older it is in a different league totally (new engine, graphics, story richness, FMV quality, unit diversity). I have the 4 Emperor Discs as ISO's and there is no compatibility issues whatsoever with Win10 64b.

Gotta hand it to Westwood, they paid well for their FMV sequences. John Rhys-Davies gave you your briefings in Dune 2000, Michael Dorn from Star Trek TNG was in Emperor Battle for Dune, Michael Biehn in Tiberian Sun. Then Westwood sold up and their IP's became EA's private joke :(

Gizmo as you mentioned Evolva and Republic are such great games and very under appreciated. I don't think either had significant studio backing when launched and both were created by people looking to pioneer an experimental game. For those unfamiliar with them they are most definitely worth a look.

Evolva is available on GOG. Start out as a weak pathetic humanoid creature on a hostile planet, kill indigenous creatures and absorb their DNA, choose how to evolve your character to become better/stronger (can't jump high enough - go absorb DNA from a frog creature, keep getting killed by something - go absorb DNA from a creature with an exoskeleton). So much potential but it didn't quite go far enough for me. No compatibility issues with Win10 64b

Republic was on GOG up until about mid-2015 but was removed, it is unpredictable on current operating systems. It played fine for me on Vista but Win10 it crashes a lot during gameplay and has a game breaking bug in the final city (load screen freezes and game crashes - there appears to be no solution for this :( )

I have Freespace 2 on Steam but haven't played it in an embarrassingly long time, might give it a go this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Emperor Battle for Dune

Played through Emperor Battle for Dune last year, for the Nth time. Love the game.
    Following that I played both Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance (2007)
    Then last month did a Crysis (2003) run
    Now back to Homeworld 2 (2003) although this time around I'm playing the 2015 remastered for the first time...

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

dazberry wrote: »
    Played through Emperor Battle for Dune last year, for the Nth time. Love the game.
    Following that I played both Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance (2007)
    Then last month did a Crysis (2003) run
    Now back to Homeworld 2 (2003) although this time around I'm playing the 2015 remastered for the first time...

D.

Started playing Homeworld 1 for the first time recently (have played shed loads of Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 just missed out on 1).
    Brilliant except for resource collecting. So should have fixed that as part of the remaster.
    Needs either the time compression option from Cataclysm or the auto harvest from Homeworld 2

Homeworld is a masterpiece, the storytelling and player engagement was top notch as well as the fantastic gameplay. The most emotionally loaded phrase in gaming (at the time anyway);

Kharak is burning

I found the difficulty of HW1 was somewhat inconsistent though, the start was easy enough obviously but the final mission was quite easy too however in the middle of the game there were 2 missions with WTF levels of difficulty 'Gardens of Kadesh' and 'Catherdral of Kadesh' with the damn needle shaped Capital ships. I must have nearly put my fist through the screen I got so frustrated being beaten over and over and over again!

I loved Cataclysm too, especially time compression, but it was not difficult. If I remember the sub-boss was a Death Star look alike Space Station and the final boss was a big Capital ship called Ragnarok? that kept jumping around the mission area. I thought it was a great game anyway. I remember when the remaster was coming out a couple of years ago people were asking about Cataclysm too and the rumor at the time was that the original source code had been lost. There is nothing on Steam for it either (bar some mods) but GOG has a title called Homeworld Emergence which is basically Cataclysm renamed to avoid legal issues. I haven't bought it but I might.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Emperor Battle for Dune is still great but it shows its age obviously. I played the original Dune 2000 as well and even though Emperor is only 2 years older it is in a different league totally (new engine, graphics, story richness, FMV quality, unit diversity). I have the 4 Emperor Discs as ISO's and there is no compatibility issues whatsoever with Win10 64b.

Gotta hand it to Westwood, they paid well for their FMV sequences. John Rhys-Davies gave you your briefings in Dune 2000, Michael Dorn from Star Trek TNG was in Emperor Battle for Dune, Michael Biehn in Tiberian Sun. Then Westwood sold up and their IP's became EA's private joke :(

Petroglyph, a studio formed by ex-Westwood devs, has a new RTS out in Early Access; haven't tried it myself yet (generally don't go for Early Access unless the game is already quite mature or proven), but it certainly looks like an old-school, C&C style game - albeit minus FMV sequences (for now!)...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/686260/Forged_Battalion/

I know 'Dust' is a bit of an indie darling at the moment, riffing on the graphics of Quake, but man those early 3D games looked terrible.

Say what you will about the flood of pixalart games, but at least that style, executed well, doesn't age and looks more engaging and creative than the boxy, early 3D art you got back in those early 2000s

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Much time spent playing Allied Assault over the LAN at college. Think we had it installed on every computer in the lab.

• Advertisement
Advertisement