Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuck in a dead end job

• 29-01-2018 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

So last June I graduated from college with a BIS degree with a 2H2 grade(not the best I know). I worked all throughout college, I did a work experience in 3rd year. In 4th year I decided I won't work so I have more time to study but halfway through I had no money for literally anything. So I got a job as a customer assistant in a big retailer. It's basic stuff like stocking shelves etc. So while working there I finished college and said I would look for a job related to college when I get my results. It's now 6 months later and I haven't send one CV. One thing is I've gotten comfortable with getting money every week not working too hard for it. Second my confidence went really down after I received a 2H2 as I was hoping for a 2H1 (I missed out by 1%max). 3rd reason whatever jobs I look at I feel not qualified enough. I mean I do have a BIS degree which is supposed to be looked for in graduates but 90% of job descriptions I look at seem to be stuff I've never heard about, like software etc.

I'm just lost at what I need to look for and I don't want to be stuck in a retail job :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If you identify and qualify yourself in some niche area connected to retail such as information systems, accounting, asset protection, brand representing, supply chain management and logistics ....the list is endless.

I had to look up BIS online and it seems to a general, hybrid interdisciplinary degree customised to an individual student.

It may be too early in your career but a degree level opens up the possibility of post graduate diplomas to sharpen your skill set once you have decided what you want to do. main barriers are time and money as these are costly of both and not to be entered into lightly.

Avoid negative people at a junior level as much as possible. Less qualified people a long time in a low end job tend to get embittered in their job. Cultivate working relationships with more senior and dynamic staff members if at all possible, I know some retail outfits discourage conversations and discourse between junior staff members and more senior staff members and being in the public eye all the time can also make enquiries difficult. Try and arrange some time with favourable superiors to discuss career paths and onward progression if necessary in your own time if time at your work station is an issue.

I know of quite a few people in logistics and warehouse management earning more than many technicians and IT types despite having moderate sub degree level qualifications...after about 5 yrs its experience in a job that matters more than a degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A BIS degree should get you in the door for a lot of graduate programmes.

A quick search on irishjobs.ie for "Business information systems" returns 468 hits. Yes, some of them are not entry-level roles, but some are.

So you need to change your mindset, stop focusing on the 2.2 and start focusing on what you can offer potential employers. Think of your projects that you completed in college, think of your work experience, think of the subjects you have studied (which ones did you like?).

No job is going to match your skills and experience 100%, so don't be afraid to start applying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Don't worry too much about your degree - it is within your power to develop valuable commercial skills if you just set out to learn more and be more skillful.

If you want more success, obsessively enhance your health and sleep and quality of focus, then use more opportunities to learn more and develop more skills. That way, what you got in college is much less important. As the World is changing fast, if you can add value and have a good work ethic, many doors will open sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 Shedy

Have your CV/Cover Letter looked at firstly, pick an area you like and get up to speed on the software with online courses. Show initiative you have to sell yourself for these roles.
    Have you thought about retail management also. Its good money in it these days. Aldi have some good Graduate Programs.
    Check out Grad Ireland for Internships also. They are an excellent way of getting into a graduate programs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

All of the above is such amazing advice - how are you getting on?

Honestly, once you can get in somewhere, it's about how you do there. Try work on your CV and confidence and start chipping away at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement