Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrofit underfloor heating?

Options
  • 29-01-2018 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi I am wondering has anyone retrofitted underfloor heating I’m currently starting to do up a 2700 sq ft house in Athlone. It’s a detached 2 storey.
    The house is freezing and I have windows and doors to be changed and will be fitted in next week or so.
    I am then planning to change internal walls etc.
    But what I really want to know is what the pros and cons of retrofitting underfloor heating. I don’t mind changing tiles etc but I’ve seen people say that it changes the floor height by 1500mm is this the case?
    There are a couple of rooms like office etc that I won’t need it in downstairs but ideally the main living area. I have a decent budget so am looking for input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Shoobs86

I'm also interested in this topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Fleecer84 wrote: »
    Hi I am wondering has anyone retrofitted underfloor heating I’m currently starting to do up a 2700 sq ft house in Athlone. It’s a detached 2 storey.
    The house is freezing and I have windows and doors to be changed and will be fitted in next week or so.
    But what I really want to know is what the pros and cons of retrofitting underfloor heating. I don’t mind changing tiles etc but I’ve seen people say that it changes the floor height by 1500mm is this the case?
    There are a couple of rooms like office etc that I won’t need it in downstairs but ideally the main living area. I have a decent budget so am looking for input.

What kind of floor is down at the moment? Concrete or suspended wooden floor?
    Either way you will be looking at taking up what is there and pooring a new floor over a layer of insulation. If you're undergoing extensive rennovation its probably not going to add significantly to the disruption - assuming you wont be living there anyway.
    Re your 1500mmm figure - maybe you meant 150mm - that would be more like it. This sounds like someone is advising you to put ~100mm of insulation onto existing floor, lay underfloor pipes and poor ~50mm screed over.
    You have to be sure this doesn't bring you above the damp proof course of the house. Better to take out what is there already....Alot of variables.

In saying all that....you mention the house is freezing.... assuming there's a heating system there already, underfloor heating wont be your silver bullet. I'd be investing my money in the insulation before i start looking at underfloor.

Just to add: Im not a construction expert, I'm just going through a bit of a rennovation myself at the moment so interested in these topics.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Fleecer84 wrote: »

Hold off on installing new windows and doors until you have sorted insulation and air-tighteness in reveals, recommend getting some drawings done for this.

Hold off on considering UFH until you figure out how to insulated the envelope completely

So many UFH systems don’t function correctly due to heat loss - mainly due to lack of thermal continuity and lack of air-tightness

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fleecer84

Windows and doors will be fitted this week we couldn’t wait any longer there was literally water water coming in through the windows(sounds like a kip but it is a lovely house). We’ve got treble glazed insulated framed windows from Munster Joinery(I know, I know).
    Yes I meant 150mm got trigger happy with the 0’s.
    We have oil central heating and a stove with a back boiler. We had the house zoned when I bought it.
    Can anyone recommend a company/person around Athlone that does underfloor heating?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fleecer84

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    What kind of floor is down at the moment? Concrete or suspended wooden floor?
    Either way you will be looking at taking up what is there and pooring a new floor over a layer of insulation. If you're undergoing extensive rennovation its probably not going to add significantly to the disruption - assuming you wont be living there anyway.
    Re your 1500mmm figure - maybe you meant 150mm - that would be more like it. This sounds like someone is advising you to put ~100mm of insulation onto existing floor, lay underfloor pipes and poor ~50mm screed over.
    You have to be sure this doesn't bring you above the damp proof course of the house. Better to take out what is there already....Alot of variables.

In saying all that....you mention the house is freezing.... assuming there's a heating system there already, underfloor heating wont be your silver bullet. I'd be investing my money in the insulation before i start looking at underfloor.

Just to add: Im not a construction expert, I'm just going through a bit of a rennovation myself at the moment so interested in these topics.

Concrete floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Did install UFH in retrofit, but there was an oils spill so most of floors was dug up. Pros of installing UFH is that you can inspect and repair any DPM issues, install correct radon membrane, floor insulation etc.

Advertisement