Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bartending Apprenticeship

Options
  • 28-01-2018 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I tried to research bartending apprenticeships in Ireland and i couldn't really find anything of much use,I just wondering if anyone knew anything more about it I would greatly appropriate some help. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

There are no "bartending apprenticeships".

Some colleges do Bar management courses - CIT in Cork does for one. You don't require this to get a bar job.

A few places will throw you into the deep end and a few will start you off as a glass collector and teach you the ropes when it's quieter.

If you are interested in it as a job and have no experience then glass collector might be your "in".

However it is a relatively low paid job, with very unsociable hours ( a typical bar is busiest on Friday and Saturday nights, so you will rarely get one of those days off ) , and you may have to deal with a decent amount of guff, depending on where you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 t.dolan

I do already have 2 years bar experience and I really do enjoy it and even tho I already have a lot of experience in the area I'd like to have something behind me like having a certificate for going abroad and stuff but I don't want to do 2 years in college to learn something I already get paid to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Check out Dublin bar academy. Might be something that interests you there .

Website seemed to have a number of different options, short term and long term options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

If you do go abroad, you won't need a college course to just work in a bar. Show them you can pull a pint and you'll be fine.

I worked in a bar for close to 10 years, I'm confident I could go to bars around the world and be comfortable starting out with no certification to show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

If you go abroad, tell them your Irish and to give you a trial. From working in bars and travelling a bit you'll have no problems. Irish barmen get jobs in busy bars cause they are quick in busy environments. A trial for an hour at a busy time usually gets you the job. Formal training for bar men don't exist anymore to my knowledge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I can only speak from my own experience but I never heard of anyone needing a qualification to get a job in a pub abroad. Experience stated was enough to get a trial if they needed someone.

The only thing I ever heard of was a TGI Fridays training up people for the cocktail bar which would maybe count for something, but you'd need to be working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

t.dolan wrote:
    I tried to research bartending apprenticeships in Ireland and i couldn't really find anything of much use,I just wondering if anyone knew anything more about it I would greatly appropriate some help. Thanks!

You'll only find information on barman apprenticeship in the history books. The apprenticeship used to 4 years but was done away with 20 odd years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 t.dolan

Thank you everyone for your help really learned a lot from all your knowledge.
    appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Go to America they are valued there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

.........Unless they come from certain countries frowned upon by the current administration I think you forgot to add! :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement