Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotpoint Washing machine repair

Options
  • 28-01-2018 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

just looking for advice on this - I have a e3 year old washing machine, earlier this month the motor in it died, ( blowing the fuses in the house as it did so ) I had registered the machine when I bought it , so I phoned Hotpoint /Whirlpool ( all contacts appear to be in the UK) - on a Monday, had a slightly confused cust services rep tell me that repair would be in the region of €60-65 as that parts were covered, so I would only be paying for the callout. All fine, Guy comes on time next day, fixes machine, leaves. Excellent.
    A week later I get a bill for €125 euro.

I query this with various UK ( Hull?) phone numbers ( all appear to be peak landline calls as it absolutely swallowed all my mobile credit - twice) I am put on hold, and transferred to a department .. thats closed. Call goes dead.
    I the try their webchat , eventually, after doing it twice, I'm told that I have to phone amother number. I do this.
    When I do this, a ( polite) woman tells me, no, I dont know why they gave you this number. She also cant see any invoice anywhere, and asks me what the amount was. She says to email x address.
    I email again. Two weeks have now passed.
    I explain in 3rd or 4th email that my query is to what I was told on the initial call - I belive the agent said in the region of 60-65, ive asked for the recording ( assuming there is one) to be checked.
    The main point is I would not have paid $125 on a 3 year old machine, but would have paid $60, plus why tell me one thing and charge another?
    My partner thinks im being fussy over €60. I disagree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

have you paid anything to them yet?

If not, send them a cheque for what you agreed with a letter telling them why you are paying this amount only.

keep a copy of the cheque/letter (take a photo) before sending. no need for reg post as their cashing of the cheque will be evidence of receipt.

If they query it with you, make them provide a copy of the recording.

That said, I have had the misfortune to have to use this 'service' before and it did cost 125EUR. Wouldnt buy any hotpoint appliance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭topcat72

No, I've paid them nothing as of yet. And I do realise I will have to pay, and thats not the issue really, its more that I was told one price and then charged another. Having all their customer support in the UK is also slowing things.
    Being passed around from one person to the other was very annoying, as was having 15 minute phone calls.
    No, my next machine wont be a Hotpoint either.
    Ive had no response to my request for a copy of the recording.
    Huge company, I would have expected a far smoother process. THey seemed far more interested in trying to sell me product insurance cover .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I'm not a great fan of extended warranty but it was so much cheaper to get repaired on it. That said my hotpoint only went the month i cancelled it! I got a local guy in d15 to do it (they do dublin wide) and was 80 euro.

All of my appliances have limped on now for 14 years and all went within a month as did the boiler....bank of mam and dad was raided. Not a hotpoint in the shops to be found. Ended up getting all zanussi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

There's an article in the Daily Mail today about most reliable appliances by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

Had hotpoint repair out to me Monday just gone to repair my washer/dryer, and have to say top notch service, the guy was bang on...only logged the fault on friday last too..turned out to be a blown element...

€125 is the correct charge by the way, heres the break down.

€60 for call out
    €65 for labour
    Parts FOC as long as you have a receipt, but service guy didnt need nor look for it and have the machine 8 years

SO you were charge the correct price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes if you sign up for the extended usually 10 year extra they charge that price but parts are free as they say.

So in that time of 10 years it could break 2 or 3 times and it would be cheaper to buy new.

I honestly don't think its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Or you could invoke the sale of goods and supply of services act and have it repaired for free / huge discount.

Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mittimitti

dont pay them sale of goods states the machine should be of merchantable quality

end of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

topcat72 wrote: »
    that repair would be in the region of €60-65 as that parts were covered, so I would only be paying for the callout.

€65 for the callout... parts included... still leaves labour.
    Sounds like there was a misunderstanding somewhere along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hi, anyone out there replace the drum bearing in a Hotpoint Aquarius ? the Model is WML760P and the Serial Nr is :-54706 811190516.
    There are different size bearings available, so would be great if some one has experience of which bearing fits that Drum. Otherwise, I'll have to remove the drum, and that means the machine will be out of commission for longer than needed. Would also be helpful if you could mention where you got the bearing kit.
    Thanks in Advance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement